Bing has hijacked my keyword search

Chris O'Donnell

Sep 19, 2010, 6:59:55 PM9/19/10
to fredlug
I keep editing URL:keyword back to the default (Google) and when I close and reopen Firefox it is back to Bing. I have disabled the Ubuntu Add-On for Firefox, so it's not some backroom deal between Canonical and MS causing this. If I search about:config for Bing the only place is comes up is the URL:keyword config option. I have also removed Bing from the search box options. This is happening in both Swiftfox and Firefox -whatever the most recent version of both is.

Does anybody have any idea what the hell is hijacking my browser and changing the keyword search default?

--
Chris

Paul Frields

Sep 20, 2010, 7:49:17 AM9/20/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com

One place to check would be your settings inside ~/.mozilla -- you
could do a grep search to see if you could locate an errant script or
download that was "fixing" this at startup.

grep -irl bing ~/.mozilla

Paul

Mark Walker

Sep 20, 2010, 7:53:49 PM9/20/10
to FredLUG
Chris, we're discussing at the meeting tonight how to solve this
problem. Ted's research indicates that blowing away the ~/.mozilla
folder might be the most effective way to rid yourself of this issue.
*Be sure to save/export your bookmarks first.* The ~/.mozilla folder
should re-establish itself the next time you run Firefox.

Mark

Adrian

Sep 20, 2010, 8:45:45 PM9/20/10
to FredLUG
Interesting... I don't have Bing as one of the option in my Firefox.
However, IE did the same thing to me at work. It turns out I didn't
set Google as the default, but from your message, it seems like you
already took care of that. The only other thing I can think of is
running in debug mode ,and see if you are having some sort of
permissions issue.

My values: keyword.URL;http://www.google.com/search?
ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=
keyword.enabled;true

Chris O'Donnell

Sep 20, 2010, 11:11:00 PM9/20/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com