Query regarding Franca_ara_tools

siddhartha v

Feb 5, 2020, 5:52:19 AM2/5/20
to Franca

Hello,

I have read about the faracon tool. I am trying to use it to know how does it work. I referred https://www.autosar.org/fileadmin/user_upload/standards/classic/4-3/AUTOSAR_TR_FrancaIntegration.pdf document. and followed https://github.com/GENIVI/franca_ara_tools/wiki/FARACON-Developer-Guide

Here my question is:

  1. Do franca connector files are handwritten or auto generated from the faracon tool?
  2. Is there any way to work with the Faracon tool without accessing to the artop website?
  3. Can I get any example so that I can refer and get the feeling that is how the franca_ara_tool works?

Any suggestion will help me a lot.

Regards,
Siddhartha V

Klaus Birken

Jul 2, 2020, 8:34:04 AM7/2/20
to Franca
Hi,

there are two different tools that map from Franca to AUTOSAR:

- IoNAS: mapping Franca IDL <=> AUTOSAR Classic (https://github.com/GENIVI/ionas-hmi)
- FARACON: mapping Franca IDL <=> AUTOSAR Adaptive (https://github.com/GENIVI/franca_ara_tools)

The technical report you are citing above is the basis for the IoNAS implementation. In FARACON, there is no Franca Connector language. It is not needed because the mapping between Franca interfaces and AUTOSAR Adaptive services is quite straightforward (at least at top-level).

So here are the answers to your questions:

ad 1: neither/nor. No connector files needed for FARACON
ad 2: unfortunately not (same as IoNAS). AUTOSAR I.P. restrictions do not allow it

Hope this helps, regards,
Klaus

siddhartha v

Jul 3, 2020, 5:59:15 AM7/3/20
to Klaus Birken, Franca
Thank you for the input sir. thank you so much.
--
Thanks and Regards.
Siddhartha V.

Yulia M

Feb 6, 2021, 12:25:43 AM2/6/21
to Franca
Hello,

I am using Faracon to create and arxml file from Franca to define services. The problem that I encountered is - Faracon does not read deployment files (f.depl) that contain the deployment information. I have been looking for some connector or another tool that can convert f.depl file into arxml.
Do you know something about that? We want this to have an automated process and not write deployment service manifests manually.

Thanks,
Yulia

siddhartha v

Feb 6, 2021, 6:59:07 AM2/6/21
to Yulia M, Franca
Hello,

 Are tou trying to connect classic autosar or adaptive autosar with franca?

If you are trying to connect adaptive autosar then you dont need faracon actually. You  can just match the fidl methods, events etc with the arxml data.

Next, you need not to worry about fdepl file. You can refer the arxml and set the deployment data such as method ID, event ID, port, IP etc in the fdepl mannually or vice versa. Just make sure you have the same data between arxml and fidl and fdepl.

The thing you need to see here is arxmls that you are referring and fidl nd fdepl that you are using must have same artifacts.

This will help you in achieving the communication between Genivi and adaptive Autosar over SOME/IP.

Yulia M

Feb 6, 2021, 5:23:25 PM2/6/21
to siddhartha v, Franca
Hi,

Thanks god the answer.
We are defining services for adaptive platform.
We don’t want to deal with arxml files nan tally and maintain them and instead want to use francs definitions which are more compact.
Also, we don’t want to write deployment information manually in arxml snd looking fir the way to use fdelp format.
Fera on dies not process deploymjbe files.
Just for the reference, I am working at Ford and the scale of the project is huge. It’s not about one small arxml file.
I was looking into d-bus connector that deals with XML format, but did not find how it csn be  used to parse fdepl file.
I also found Franca+ repo, but still don’t know if it can convert fdepl file to arxml.