Transform ROS .msg file to .fidl file

Dino Džakmić

Dec 16, 2022, 3:39:25 AM12/16/22
to Franca
Hi all,

Is there any documentation or example on how can we transform ROS .msg file to .fidl file?
I want to write an interface that would containt all relevant ROS data (structs, topics etc.) into Franca IDL which will be later used as an input for other tools e.g. PREEvision.

Best,
Dino.

Klaus Birken

Apr 5, 2023, 2:05:33 AM4/5/23
to Franca
Hi Dino,

I don't know of an automatic transformation from ROS-msg to Franca-fidl, but maybe someone else has developed such a tool. After quickly looking into ROS I think msg-files are just definition of data structures, so it shouldn't be too complex (esp. for someone who knows the semantics of the various ROS data types).

It seems to me that there is a fairly big standard set of msg files defined by ROS itself - maybe it would help the community to set up a repository with a Franca conversion of all these? But without automatic translation, this would be fairly repetitive work...

Regards,
Klaus

Dino Džakmić

Apr 6, 2023, 5:41:40 AM4/6/23
to Franca
Hi Klaus,

Yes, that would be nice to have since it seems that might be commonly used especially in the autonomous driving area (ROS -> Franca and vice-versa conversion), depending on what for middleware is being used.
I have found this Python source code that does Franca to ROS2 conversion and I think it would make sense to extend it to bi-directional: https://github.com/miketsukerman/vsomeip-ros-bridge/tree/master/src/franca2ros

Best,
Dino.

Klaus Birken

Jul 17, 2023, 3:52:32 AM7/17/23
to Franca
Hi Dino,

interesting, didn't know this. I just put it on a list of Franca-related tools provided by the community, on the Franca wiki on github.

Do you plan any activities on providing a PR for this converter-tool with the direction ROS-to-fidl?

Best regards,
Klaus