What frameworks are people using in 2019?

Tenakha

Jun 23, 2019, 12:07:54 PM6/23/19
to framework-one
I'm coming back to CF after a 10 year hiatus. (Been doing Java/Perl/Python in between (sorry!)) [I remember people using ColdBox / Fusebox / FW/1]
I am building a car classifieds web site - with a mysql backend.
Ideally would want to host on cloud (especially the images).
I want to use modern CF techniques rather than old school - would be grateful for: a) list of articles, b) books, c) recommendations.
What should I be considering in terms of frameworks / patterns now?

(cross posted to CFML slack channel)

Richard Tugwell

Jun 23, 2019, 12:40:19 PM6/23/19
to framew...@googlegroups.com
As more and more things move to the front end, I find that FW1 is the perfect fit for a lightweight framework to mediate with server side business logic. provide API facade etc. Very lightweight and mature

Richard Tugwell

--
FW/1 documentation: http://framework-one.github.io
FW/1 source code: http://github.com/framework-one/fw1

Richard Tugwell

Jun 23, 2019, 12:42:16 PM6/23/19
to framew...@googlegroups.com
NB ask in the slack forums - more activity takes place there

Richard Tugwell

Nando Breiter

Jun 24, 2019, 5:05:15 AM6/24/19
to framew...@googlegroups.com
I'm using FW1. There is excellent documentation, and it is relatively lightweight, yet does everything I would need.

The other alternative would be ColdBox. The ecosystem is more complex, and maybe more complete in a way, but you have to buy into the Coldbox way of doing things.

I use Lucee for all new development, and now avoid using a Hibernate wrapper, or ORM. Hibernate seems useful until you run into a bug, which you can't do much about, particularly since the Hibernate wrappers lag well behind Hibernate itself and don't get much attention, although the Lucee team seems better on this front. I can fix my own sql, generally within minutes, but need to work around Hibernate wrapper issues as it make take years for a bug to be addressed.