FW1: Memory release issues

Karen Payne

Feb 1, 2019, 9:27:06 AM2/1/19
to framework-one

Hello,

Last year I inherited a FW1 mobile application, which over the past several months was never loaded, tested.  For a benchmark, we took a standard ColdFusion application without any frameworks were the load test was 1,000 transactions were there were no issues. When we tested the FW1 application, the server it runs out crashed at less than 150 iterations, as the FW1 application never released memory.

I noticed that RC was carrying around a tad bit too much baggage and that some properties and variables were not scoped properly. The variable scoping have been fixed (e.g. csfet with var when appropriate), nothing changed in releasing of memory. We didn’t change the RC as even though more than usual things we being carried around they are essentially simply static strings.

Expectations of this FW1 application, on a normal day the non FW1 application gets up to 2,000 hits per day. We expect at least 1,000 hits per day for the FW1 application.

So my question (and I realized to really respond to this question more details will be needed but I want to keep this light for now) is any suggestions to allow the FW1 application to release memory?

Thanks for your time on this matter.

Richard Tugwell

Feb 1, 2019, 9:41:42 AM2/1/19
to framew...@googlegroups.com
I’m pretty sure the framework itself isn’t causing memory issues - I certainly haven’t seen that happen - but others will probably chip in. You might also want to post on cfml.slack.com where there is a fw1 channel and probably more traffic

Sent from my iPhone
--
FW/1 documentation: http://framework-one.github.io
FW/1 source code: http://github.com/framework-one/fw1

Richard Tugwell

Feb 1, 2019, 9:44:33 AM2/1/19
to framew...@googlegroups.com
Post your application.cfc as starters and anything else that configures FW1 or gets executed on every request

Sent from my iPhone

On 1 Feb 2019, at 14:27, Karen Payne <karenpay...@gmail.com> wrote:

Mark Drew

Feb 1, 2019, 10:08:06 AM2/1/19
to framew...@googlegroups.com
I think there are more issues here.

Using memory to cache singleton services (as you would in many other applications) is standard and the RC scope is basically per request so it shouldn’t be holding on to request memory.

Also, it depends how you do your testing. If you are creating new sessions (not storing cookies) with a load testing application , you are basically for every request creating a session that coldfusion has to manage.

There are so many variables here but I would really not be looking at FW/1 as the culprit.

MD

Karen Payne

Feb 7, 2019, 2:54:57 PM2/7/19
to framework-one
Apologies for the time to reply. Seems there was nothing wrong with FW1, instead a memory profiler was sucking up memory and not releasing it.

Thanks for all the replies :-)