FW/1 in 2019 and beyond

Sean Corfield

Dec 27, 2018, 3:51:00 PM12/27/18
to framework-one
I just posted a variant of this on Slack but I'm also posting it here for those of you who do not use Slack:

Season's Greetings fellow FW/1 users! As I've mentioned before, we stopped using FW/1 at work quite a long time ago. We converted our CFML FW/1 apps to Clojure FW/1 apps and then migrated to plain Clojure -- and I sunsetted the Clojure version of FW/1 two years ago. We've also been actively converting our three remaining ColdBox apps to plain Clojure as well, and we're very close now to shutting down the largest of the three, with the other two likely to follow in 2019. As of now, I'm only in the #cfml-general and #fw1 channels here and both are muted. I'm no longer actively signed into this Slack on any of my devices, so I'm only visiting via a web browser -- and that level of engagement will steadily decline over the next few months. I'll still get email notifications if you @-me tho' so, for now, I'm still reachable here.
I've asked, several times, for new maintainers to step up for FW/1. @nolanerck has permissions on the GitHub organization (as owner) but I'm not expecting him to lead development as he has a lot of other things on his plate. At this point, FW/1 is extremely stable and (fairly) well-documented. 4.0.0 was released just over two years ago. There have been (minor) maintenance releases each year since (4.1.0 in July '17 and 4.2.0 at the end of March '18).
There have been two very small enhancements on the develop branch since then (thank you @cfvonner and @mjclemente) but not enough to warrant a new release (and, with CommandBox, it's easy enough to install that branch anyway: box install fw1@be). At this point, unless one or more genuinely proactive and engaged maintainers come forward, 4.2.0 will probably be the last official release of the framework -- I haven't used the framework for ages and my "CFML development" these days is mostly just deleting CFML code (literally, that's the only changes I've made at work over the last few weeks!). My seventeen years of CFML development are almost completely over now.
[...]
Season's Greetings fellow FW/1 users! As I've mentioned before, we stopped using FW/1 at work quite a long time ago. We converted our CFML FW/1 apps to Clojure FW/1 apps and then migrated to plain Clojure -- and I sunsetted the Clojure version of FW/1 two years ago. We've also been actively converting our three remaining ColdBox apps to plain Clojure as well, and we're very close now to shutting down the largest of the three, with the other two likely to follow in 2019. From this point on, my involvement with the CFML Slack is likely to be minimal (although I'll still get notified of @-mentions and DMs, at least for the time being).

I've asked, several times, for new maintainers to step up for FW/1. Nolan Erck has permissions on the GitHub organization (as owner) but I'm not expecting him to lead development as he has a lot of other things on his plate. At this point, FW/1 is extremely stable and (fairly) well-documented. 4.0.0 was released just over two years ago. There have been (minor) maintenance releases each year since (4.1.0 in July '17 and 4.2.0 at the end of March '18).

There have been two very small enhancements on the develop branch since then (thank you Carl Von Stetten and Matthew Clemente) but not enough to warrant a new release (and, with CommandBox, it's easy enough to install that branch anyway: box install fw1@be). At this point, unless one or more genuinely proactive and engaged maintainers come forward, 4.2.0 will probably be the last official release of the framework -- I haven't used the framework for ages and my "CFML development" these days is mostly just deleting CFML code (literally, that's the only changes I've made at work over the last few weeks!). My seventeen years of CFML development are almost completely over now.

Thank you for all your support over the years!

Regards,
Sean

Sean Corfield

Dec 27, 2018, 3:52:11 PM12/27/18
to framework-one
Gee, and thank you Microsoft Edge/Google Mail for pasting the Slack message several times and not showing it in the compose window :(

Richard Tugwell

Dec 27, 2018, 4:10:55 PM12/27/18
to framew...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sean,

We still look at using Coldfusion based apps where appropriate, and FW1 has been the framework of choice for many years. Haven't really needed any recent updates and the stability of the core product has been crucial. Given this stability most organisations I've worked with feel comfortable with incorporating it, even if future support might be uncertain. I think this testifies to your original vision for the framework, and like many others I'd like to register my gratitude!

Cheers and many thanks!!

Richard Tugwell

--
FW/1 documentation: http://framework-one.github.io
FW/1 source code: http://github.com/framework-one/fw1

Cameron Childress

Dec 28, 2018, 10:15:45 AM12/28/18
to framew...@googlegroups.com
Sean-

I'm glad you posted this here as well as on Slack. I'm in the Slack channels but don't really peek in there very often so I miss tons of stuff that flows by.

We still use FW/1 actively on new CF code as well as old and it's solid as a rock. The framework seems to be at a pretty mature and safe place right now. Keeping the documentation and project up and alive is important and I'm glad Nolan's stepping up to help make sure that happens. I don't mind dropping in on GitHub as a maintainer at some level too but I'm also not in a place to lead the project in any meaningful way either.

Thanks for all the work you have put into FW/1 over the years, especially the last few years when I know you've been maintaining it even though you aren't actively writing CFML anymore. It's really appreciated!

-Cameron

Martin Baur

Dec 28, 2018, 3:20:33 PM12/28/18
to framework-one
Hi Sean

I am understanding that you want(ed) to abandon FW/1 ... or ColdFusion for that matter. I am still using your framework all day on my core project. As it always proved not to be the cause of my problems I learned that your work is outstanding and solid.

I thank you therefore for this framework ... the only framework I've ever used since I started working with CF 4.5.

I hope there will be a maintainer for it ... although I never needed more than what you wisely probided.

All the best,
Martin, Switzerland

Tim Clarke

Dec 29, 2018, 12:01:18 PM12/29/18
to framew...@googlegroups.com
A rousing hip-hip for Sean's huge contributions over many years. We'll continue to use ColdFusion and FW/1 in our applications. Fast, secure, solid. Many thanks.

Tim Clarke

Sean Corfield

Dec 30, 2018, 12:51:45 AM12/30/18
to framework-one
On Friday, December 28, 2018 at 12:20:33 PM UTC-8, Martin Baur wrote:
I am understanding that you want(ed) to abandon FW/1 ... or ColdFusion for that matter.

Well, "abandon" is a strong word. If I wanted to abandon it, I wouldn't bother posting here, I'd just walk away and not care :)

I'd been building software in a number of different languages for two decades before ColdFusion crossed my path, and I built software in CFML for most of two decades, as well as Java, Groovy, Scala, and Clojure. At work, we've shifted from a CFML shop (I joined in 2010 -- the company was already a decade old as a CFML shop) to a Clojure shop for the back end and a JS shop for the front end. I like the company, I like the work, so now I do Clojure development all day long :)

I've always been a polyglot. I liked CFML enough to use it for a long while. I like C++ enough to use it for a decade before that. I like Clojure enough to want to use it for the next decade.

We should all learn and use multiple languages. We should not be identified just by the language we are currently using.

Sean

Reinhard Jung

Dec 30, 2018, 9:48:55 PM12/30/18
to framew...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean

Thanx a lot for your Support and FW/1

digitally yours
  Reinhard

Sean Corfield

Mar 7, 2019, 12:43:52 PM3/7/19
to framework-one
Just wanted to post a small update to this thread:

We've also been actively converting our three remaining ColdBox apps to plain Clojure as well, and we're very close now to shutting down the largest of the three, with the other two likely to follow in 2019.

This was the week that we hit that milestone: I deleted 30,000 lines of CFML and shut down three (of our four) production Lucee servers. We still have 45,000 lines of CFML in two more ColdBox apps (one small and customer-facing, one "medium" size and internal-facing). And the departmental goal is to convert those two apps this year and shut down that last server. End of an era for us. The company was a ColdFusion shop from its start in 2001, with typical "unstructured" CFML pages. When I got involved in 2009, we were evaluating CF9 and a shift from MS SQL Server/Windows/IIS to MySQL/Linux/Apache and decided to go with Railo 3, for the rewrite with ColdBox. We migrated to Lucee but got stuck when Lucee 5 broke the Clojure integration we relied upon at that point.

Moving from CFML to a general purpose JVM language has also improved our dev/test/build/deploy pipeline since we're just pushing small (30-35MB) JAR files around now -- so we can finally do CD (Continuous Deployment) -- and it also means our hosting company can take on more of the day-to-day monitoring and recovery processes since everything is a) a lot simpler and b) more in their wheelhouse.

Sean