database server - setup by Techempower or by the frameowrk authors?

Adam McMahon

Nov 17, 2020, 4:26:25 PM11/17/20
to framework-benchmarks

Hi,

My question is with regard to the environment that the databases are run.  Does Techempower manage the database server (and provide a user'/pass for the test)? Or does the author of the test maintain and run the DB server themselves?

Thanks,

-Adam

Mohammed Chakib “Chakib” Belgaid

Nov 17, 2020, 4:30:07 PM11/17/20
to framework-benchmarks, Adam McMahon
Dear  Adam ,

I’m just using a fork of the project, and according  my experimentations.
the framework launch the database server inside the host as a docker container , you can configure the framework to start the container in another machine suing the flag  --database-host $database_host.

Hope i answered the question.
Best regards

Mohammed Chakib BELGAID
PHD Student
Inria Lille
Parc scientifique de la Haute Borne 40, av.. Halley
59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq - France58-500, Poland
mobile: + 33 7 55 29 72 14
www.inria.fr
LinkedIn icon  Twitter icon

Adam McMahon

Nov 18, 2020, 3:16:35 PM11/18/20
to framework-benchmarks
Hi Mohammed,

Thanks for the fast and informative answer.  As a framework author, can I pick any database I want to use?  And then configure that database how I see fit within the dockor container?

-Adam

Mohammed Chakib “Chakib” Belgaid

Nov 18, 2020, 3:19:37 PM11/18/20
to 'Bonnie Eisenman' via framework-benchmarks, Adam McMahon
Dear adam.

Personally I didn't do it.
But you can check the already used databases source code in tools/databases

There there is the docker file and to configuration of each one.
You can get inspired by that

Best regards

Mohammed Chakib BELGAID
PHD Student
Inria Lille
Parc scientifique de la Haute Borne 40, av.. Halley
59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq - France58-500, Poland
mobile: + 33 7 55 29 72 14
www.inria.fr
LinkedIn icon  Twitter icon

Mike Smith

Nov 18, 2020, 5:29:47 PM11/18/20
to framework-benchmarks
You can pick any database from the ones that are currently implemented (MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB), or you can go through the process of implementing a new database Dockerfile, but there is more that goes into implementing a new database. For instance, you would have to implement the verification portion of the toolset which needs to acquire a client and be able to make queries to ensure the proper number of selects/updates/etc were made for that given database type.

With the new toolset going live soon, I would recommend *not* implementing a new database in the legacy toolset.

Adam McMahon

Nov 20, 2020, 10:31:51 PM11/20/20
to framework-benchmarks
>> You can pick any database from the ones that are currently implemented (MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB), or you can go through the process of implementing a new database Dockerfile,

My understanding is that the tests are supposed to exercise a framework in its "canonical" form.  The framework I am authoring is intended for the the niche of a single server web app.  Thus, we encourage (and include) the use of embedded databases such as H2.  The  embedded database runs in the same process, but not in-memory.  Using an embedded database (such as H2) would not require a separate docker, as it would be shipped in the same process as the framework.

So, given the above, can I write tests that use an embedded database like H2?

If I cannot, I will still likely write tests for MySQL, but the framework's real focus is on a single server web app.

Mike Smith

Nov 23, 2020, 11:38:32 AM11/23/20
to framework-benchmarks
We do not presently allow for this type of database setup - the expectation is that every test implementation can use the same database with the same setup. As such, each database is standardized to be part of the benchmark process. To date, we only support MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MongoDB, but it is entirely possible/reasonable to add to this list.

My personal preference would be to wait until after the transition from the legacy toolset so as to avoid doing the implementation twice.

Adam McMahon

Nov 23, 2020, 9:09:28 PM11/23/20
to framework-benchmarks
>> My personal preference would be to wait until after the transition from the legacy toolset so as to avoid doing the implementation twice.

Good suggestion, I am a months before the framework is at a Beta release, so I have a bit of time before I write the tech empower tests.

Cheers!
-Adam

Michael Glenn

Jan 2, 2021, 1:49:01 AM1/2/21
to framework-benchmarks
Hello,

I just wanted to show an update?
MoneyMan573/tfb-status: This powers tfb-status.techempower.com (github.com)
Enhancement can be found here.  Thank you.