Top tube to seat tube brace

Daniel D

Jul 18, 2021, 9:24:42 AM7/18/21
to Framebuilders
HI everyone - Thinking about a commuter bike project with consideration to standover. Having looked at mixtie styles, extra seat stays etc, considering straight gauge 4130 seat tube and top tube with curved extra tube brace from top of top tube to seat tube. Design/construction cautions, considerations or problems I am not thinking of? Tig welding would be construction technique. Stress risers, difficult miters, challenging welds, etc?

Many thanks for any insights,

Daniel
Message has been deleted

Mark Stonich

Jul 22, 2021, 8:42:43 PM7/22/21
to Framebuilders
Sounds like a nightmare getting the miters right on a curved brace.

I'm planning a step-through with a 1.25" or 1.375" x 0.035" seat tube and no brace. Probably be lighter.

Daniel D

Jul 23, 2021, 4:33:36 PM7/23/21
to Framebuilders
Straight wall tube for the seat? I have been considering the same. Thanks - Daniel