How to hold a Butt Gage

Amir Avitzur

May 7, 2024, 12:32:08 AMMay 7
to Framebuilders
I picked up an old sheet metal gage yesterday that I would like to use to check the depth of the butts in tubes.

It’s fiddley.

What is the best way to hold the tube and the gage for reliable results?

Amir Avitzur
R"G Israel

Dan Chambers

Jul 26, 2024, 3:30:00 AM (3 days ago) Jul 26
to Framebuilders
Have you got a picture?

The sheet metal gauges that I'm familiar with are flat metal discs like this, so not much use for tubes...
I use a specially made tube gauge (Dward Design), but made one previously myself from basic materials and a dial indicator.

All the best,

Dan Chambers

Jul 26, 2024, 3:33:47 AM (3 days ago) Jul 26
to Framebuilders
30NX67_AS01-435510355.jpeg