Fracking

Chatham Chatlist

Nov 6, 2011, 1:39:28 AM11/6/11
to frackin...@googlegroups.com
From: Dan Marley <ddb...@embarqmail.com>
Sent: Sat, November 5, 2011 11:49:45 AM
Subject: Fracking

I thought David Brooks of the New York Times had an interesting article on fracking.

I do not think of the N.Y. Times as being in the pocket of “big oil”.

Anyway, you can read it at http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/04/opinion/brooks-the-shale-gas-revolution.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=fracking&st=Search

Dan Marley

David

Nov 14, 2011, 12:40:04 PM11/14/11
to Fracking in North Carolina
Thanks for the link Mr. Marley. Mr. Brooks does a good job of framing
the issues we are facing in NC. Hopefully, science and reason will
prevail and we can all benefit by using this natural resource in safe
and responsible ways.

David Poe

On Nov 6, 1:39 am, Chatham Chatlist <chatl...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> [...]

Chatham County Chatlist

Nov 15, 2011, 7:42:08 AM11/15/11
to frackin...@googlegroups.com
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:16:15 -0500
From: Cindy Lodestro <lodestro...@gmail.com>

Hi all, I have been following the "Fracking" discussion on the Chatlist.
Lots of info to process. I found a good discussion (video) on WRAL that
hit on many good pts. whether pro or con. I found it very helpful and
wanted to share. It is ~ 20 minutes long, in 3 parts and brings up the
experience thus far in Pennsylvania. Well done, informative and so I
recommend it for those would like a good introduction.
http://www.wral.com/wral-tv/video/10372223/#/vid10372223
~Cindy
--

Praise the God of all, drink the wine and let the world be the world
~ a French Proverb

Colleen Kendrick

Nov 15, 2011, 12:08:44 PM11/15/11
to Fracking in North Carolina
Perhaps Chatham Matters would like to dig further to discover more facts.

The "propaganda" he cited as evidence comes from an industry backed commission in Colorado, whos purpose is to facilitate industry, not to protect the public health.

If you'd like to read from the gas company's point of view, there is an article from Energy In Depth, which is a PR arm of the American Petroleum Institute. Then in rebuttal, read all 40 pages of this, with INDEPENDENT scientists answers to EID:
http://1trickpony.cachefly.net/gas/pdf/Affirming_Gasland_Sept_2010.pdf

Sure Gasland is biased, it tells the story of people who's lives have been forever altered by natural gas development. I invite all skeptics to see the film and check it out for yourselves. Take notes on the claims, and do research on your own as i have been doing for the last 8 months.

The good news is that the squeaky wheels like myself are making the industry stand up and notice, so that it will be forced to adopt best practices, which unfortunately, are not standard of practice in this industry.

Please continue to read information form all areas, and note from where that information comes. For example, Penn State is heavily endowed with industry money now, and much of their research can be considered biased as well. It seems that gone are the days that there will not be some bias in most of what we get to see in the media, so we have to be better researchers.

Check this video out as well.These are farmers, many of them conservative Republicans, who have been impacted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHoAHQEz5Fk&feature=related

Thanks for the opportunity to engage in a dialogue with you all,

Colleen Kendrick
--
Colleen Kendrick, Organizer
Deep River Clean Water Society

Bert Bowe

Nov 20, 2011, 12:38:27 PM11/20/11
to frackin...@googlegroups.com
Ms. Kendrick's post is right on.� I have read those 40 pages of Affirming Gasland and they further demonstrate that Gasland producer Josh Fox and the experts he consults with are serious about sticking to science and facts.� Just one of many that stand out: Using the industry's estimate of the chemicals (many toxic or unknown) the industry adds to fracking water as 0.5% of the total weight, this results in over 40,000 pounds of chemicals per million gallons of water - and several millions are used with each well.

FYI, Gasland is available at the Pittsboro library and via Netflix DVD. �

I believe anyone following this debate needs to do at least one thing: "Follow the money."� As she said, research and other information coming from independent researchers not profiting in any way from gas fracking carry a lot more weight than from companies or individuals who do or will.� And I challenge anyone to consider those average folks in Gasland as not credible. �

Before we start down an irreversible road to fracking, here are some questions to ask gas companies, who if they answered "yes" would really go towards helping the effort to extract gas more safely:

- Would you be willing to come under the federal Clean Air, Clean Water and Safe Drinking Water Acts that the industry was exempted from in 2005 (thanks to Dick Cheney)?� If not, why not?� I asked this of Lewis Fromkin from Fromkin Energy at the 10/17/11 Chatham County Commissioners meeting, and he answered that they already were (not true of course - the FRAC Act in Congress right now would take away the Clean Water Drinking Act exemption and require disclosure of chemicals used).

- Would you be willing to have pre-fracking air and water tests done by an independent testing group?

- Would you be willing to introduce unique chemical markers in your fracking fluid so that there would be no question where well or surface water contamination was or was not coming from?

- Can we see a voided copy of the non-disclosure agreement each landowner must sign before selling their mineral rights?� There is a strong possibility this agreement keeps more landowners from speaking out regarding fracking effects in their area.

I'm also glad we at least have this forum for discussion - but wonder what could be more "Chatham centric" than this subject??

Bert Bowe � � �