Fw: LP Gas Website

Chatham Chatlist

Nov 21, 2011, 7:12:45 AM11/21/11
to frackin...@googlegroups.com
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:58:38 -0500
From: "Tom Glendinning" <goa...@embarqmail.com>
Subject: LP Gas Website

This website provides many points of information on liquid propane gas, its uses, alternatives, comparisons to other sources of heating and fuel. as well as dealer and product information for home and business.  It is impressive.  There is an interactive map with info on home heating by regions of the US.  Very useful site.

http://www.buildwithpropane.com/

Home heating - dual source units (gas heat/electric AC)
Tankless hot water heaters
Heating and power supply units
Standard appliances
Financial incentives for builders
Electricity generation
Efficiency ratings and comparisons to air source heat pumps
Comparisons of carbon footprint and emissions

Further, it will link product and service inquiries to suppliers and vendors in the area with a query form (voluntary).

Since we will have LP gas available in the future, a little research may yield good results for energy costs.  If we do not, as many vocal people suggest, this source is still useful regardless.

Tom Glendinning

Bert Bowe

Nov 21, 2011, 12:26:00 PM11/21/11
to frackin...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Tom.  I agree this is a useful website, and would personally choose propane over gasoline or oil for heating, running a vehicle, etc.  Using it is better for the environment.

And I think that's the issue - the way we obtain natural gas and its effects on the environment is the issue, not that it doesn't have many good uses.

The text excerpt below is from the http://www.buildwithpropane.com/ link Tom sent and makes a good point about how much contamination spilling just one gallon of gasoline can create.  Take that point and fast forward to the potentially hundreds of chemicals fracking explosively injects into the ground.  At the industry estimate of 0.5% chemicals-to-water, this equals over 40,000 pounds of chemicals per million gallons of water - with each well taking several million gallons.

This link lists the chemicals and their properties (the ones that are identified), many of them toxic.  Click on the bottom Excel spreadsheet tabs to see each description http://www.tedx.org/chemicals.multistate.php

The industry claims the fracking fluid never gets to well water, but there are many cases in fracking states where this is not true - not to mention surface water contamination once a lot of fracking water is extracted.  Here's a very recent preliminary EPA report about their study of Wyoming homes with contaminated water: http://www.propublica.org/article/epa-finds-fracking-compound-in-wyoming-aquifer

Bottom line: if fracking was demonstrated to be environmentally safe, there would be a lot fewer folks very worried about it coming to Chatham.

Bert

http://www.buildwithpropane.com/Propane Is Green Energy

Measured by carbon footprint, propane is one of the greenest energy sources available.

Studies from organizations including the Environmental Protection Agency reveal that propane is an attractive option for avoiding greenhouse gas emissions in nearly any application.

Propane gives off less than half as many greenhouse gas emissions as using an equivalent amount of electricity generated from the U.S. grid. It is a low-carbon alternative fuel that produces significantly fewer greenhouse gas emissions than diesel and gasoline in a wide range of applications. In contrast to nontoxic propane, as little as one gallon of spilled gasoline can quickly contaminate groundwater above drinking water health advisory levels.

Related Content

No virus found in this message.