Advances in Facial detection and recognition

cfordonez

Jan 18, 2011, 1:20:15 PM1/18/11
to Face Recognition for Facebook Dev. Team
hi, people,

I would like to know, what are the challenge for facial detection and
recognition nowadays,..

because there are a lot of information and research, but there is not
a technique with 100% of realible.

What do we lack in face recognition or face detection?

I appreciate any help, to have clear this.

ameydhar

Jan 19, 2011, 1:55:44 AM1/19/11
to Face Recognition for Facebook Dev. Team
Hi,

I am a final year undergraduate student pursuing my B.Tech in
Electronics and Communication Engineering.

I have worked on many projects in Computer Vision and Machine
Learning. I am planning on choosing a topic related to face detection
and recognition for my thesis project. The project has to completed in
the next 4-5 months.

Can anybody please suggest a good topic (any hot research topic or any
open problem )in this area for my thesis project?

Thanking you in anticipation,

Amey Dharwadker

Shervin Emami

Jan 19, 2011, 2:35:24 AM1/19/11
to fr...@googlegroups.com
Every topic in face recognition is still an open topic because nothing
is very reliable yet! Something that you might find interesting is
trying to determine if someone is young or is old, just based on their
facial photo. This is easy for humans but quite difficult for a
computer.

Cheers,
Shervin Emami.
http://www.shervinemami.co.cc/

chetan jakkoju

Jan 19, 2011, 12:38:54 AM1/19/11
to fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The problem of face detection, i would say it is already solved with very good accuracy levels(~96%). It is quite evident as we can also see face detection in few commercial products.

In my opinion, the problem of face recognition is not really solved because

- Most of the existing solutions work(~95%) on relatively high resolution images where they assume near frontal face and little variation in illumination.
- Current research is on recognizing faces in low resolution images, with huge variation in illumination and pose.
- The ultimate goal of any face-recognition system is to recognize faces at-least what humans can recognize.

- Chetan
My Pages: http://research.iiit.ac.in/~chetan/