Re: Pingers/Remops: Lunatic Eelbash at it again

1 view

Anonymous

Feb 5, 2008, 4:37:54 PM2/5/08

PATRICK PARIS -- FILTHY SCUMBAG PEDOPHILE, GET OUT!
PATRICK PARIS -- FILTHY SYPHILITIC PERVERT, GET OUT PEDOPHILE!
PATRICK PARIS -- WE HATE YOUR GUTS. GET THE FUCK OUT YOU FILTHY PEDOPHILE!
PATRICK PARIS -- HATEFUL SHITBAG PEDOPHILE, GET THE FUCK OUT NOW!

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 20:57:13 +0000, Howard wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Nov 2005, Eelbash Admin <ad...@eelbash.yi.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW, twisty was concerned with altering the content of mail, not the
>>> issue of permitting floods.
>>
>>No kidding? I could have sworn he blocked me because I announced I had
>>put in filters to block floods - nothing about altering the content of
>>mail
>>
>>Maybe twisty misunderstood what he read. Or did I phrase it confusingly?
>>
>>Well, here it is again:
>>
>>Agressive flood filters are in place. If you send too many messages in
>>too rapid succession to the same email address or newsgroup, some of
>>them may not make it. Sorry about that, but, the psychos have been busy
>>and I am sure you will understand the need to keep them from disrupting
>>newsgroups or preying on individuals
>>

>>I don't see anything there that talks about altering the content of
>>email, but that's the notice that twisty reacted to.
>>

> I happen to be a close friend of twisty. You can tell by my other posts
> today.

Which ones were they? I don't recall seeing any.

> Here is what my friend wrote:
>
> "The twisty re-mailer operates as a common carrier. It is a fully legal
> service operating under a business class static IP. The ToS for the ISP
> permit business class clients to operate their own mail systems as well
> as domain hosting.
>
> By operating a re-mailer, I am legally bound to operate as a common
> carrier. To maintain my status as a common carrier and avoid potential
> legal problems, under the direct advice of my corporate legal counsel, I
> cannot nor will not tamper with any messages sent through this
> re-mailer.
>
> However, I am permitted to block incoming or outgoing IPs or addresses
> to prevent abuse or flooding, or other re-mailers that may be complicit
> in violating the common carrier laws.
>
> Since this re-mailer operates within the USA, it is subject to the
> applicable laws for a common carrier.
>
> To avoid potential conflict with these laws, I have no choice but to
> source and destination block the Eelbash re-mailer as it may at any time
> decide to be in violation of the common carrier laws.
>
> I apologize for the inconvenience, but avoiding a possible legal
> violation takes precedence."
>
> As you can plainly see, it was not a concern about flooding or flood
> filters. He was concerned about altering of message content.

I don't see that, plainly or murkily. Hiis blocking of my remailer was a
direct result of my announcement that I was putting in flood filters.

Not that I care what his reason was. He can block for any reason.

But my announcement a day or two later that I was removing the flood
filters resulted in him unblocking me.

What else can anybody, even a lawyer, conclude but that the block was put
in as a result of the flood filters?

And why the need to keep announcing this legal gobbledygook?

> For example
> when you started the "civil remailer", you violated your common carrier
> status under the US laws.

I've got to tell you, that I have never seen such an irruption of legalese
as I have since Twisty arrived on the scene, and now you.

I have always thought of the remailer system as an informal group of
individuals, who, with little more than a list of the other remailers,
could independently work to provide an effective encrypted comm system for
anybody who needed to post anonymously.

Having a lawyer, or whoever you are, come in here to tell us what may
and may not be done is a bit chilling.

I doubt that any of the operators, certainly not me, have the financial
wherewithal to withstand some legal challenge thrown at them.

If the advent of the Twisty Admin and his friend Howard are harbingers of
what is in store for remops, it will mean the end of the remailer system,
at least in the US.

> By adding disclaimers to messages sent to some, but not all newsgroups,
> you may find yourself in a position that conflicts with the US laws. In
> effect, you are changing the message content by acting as a censor to
> some groups but not applying it equally to all. That is his dilemma. As
> I mentioned before, he is a close friend. We talked about this last
> night. On the advice of others and his counsel, he will not write
> anything more about it.

Amazing. A remop who will not even talk about his hobby.

Twisty, old man, if you are reading this, let me say that you seem like a
nice fellow, and your apparently strong interest in preserving privacy is
very welcome in a society where it is daily being shredded.

You appear to be somebody who works a lot with lawyers, while most of us
avoid them like the plague, and simply run our remailers out of our homes,
using whatever common sense and decency we can bring to the job.

This group is supposed to be a forum for an informal peer-to-peer
discussion among remops, as well as a source of information for people
wanting to know about remailers.

If one of the remops refuses to come here because of the 'advice of others
and his counsel', and instead, sends a friend to act as his spokesman,
then there is something very very wrong.

I hope you can see how odd your action appears compared to the way other
remops express themselves here.

If people feel they are walking through a legal minefield whenever they
speak to you, and you are calling your legal counsel and chewing over
every syllable, how do you expect them to act toward you?

The only way I can think of to act, is, with regret, to have nothing to
say to you. In fact, it might be best if you put your block of my remailer
back in place; I am thinking of doing the same with your remailer.

> I am exempted. I do not operate a remailer and have no intention of
> doing so.
>
> My suggestions are simple, if you alter message content, you can be in
> trouble. If you add lines to some messages, but not all, you are acting
> as a censor

Well, I put disclaimers in messages going to certain newsgroups that are
being disrupted; the idea being to discourage the psychopaths from using
the remailer to torment that group. All messages going through the
remailer to such newsgroups have the disclaimer, so maybe that makes it
kosher in a lawyer's eyes, but who knows?

> and can be in violation of certain aspects of the law. if you add a
> universal disclaimer to the message body that is added to all messages,
> you are OK. Blocking floods is OK. Blocking harrassment mail is OK.
>
> The biggest problem is selectively adding additional comments. That in
> effect makes you a censor.

See my comment just above.

>Take that into consideration please for your
> own well being.

Thanks for the free advice.

> Howard M.

A copy of this message is at

http://eelbash.yi.org:81/miscx/post/20051108005

Subject: Re: More Reasons To Avoid Eelbash

On 23 Oct 2005, Anonymous...@See.Comment.Header (Teddy through Eel)
wrote:
>On 23 Oct 2005, Anonymous...@See.Comment.Header (Teddy) wrote:

Much better. Now tone down your comments. Nobody likes shouting! Poor
netiqutte. Maybe there is hope for you yet.

Comments: PLEASE SEND COMPLAINTS TO IAMU...@HOTPOP.COM
INCLUDE THE NUMBER 777 IN THE SUBJECT
to ensure that your email reaches me.
PLEASE SEND COMPLAINTS TO IAMU...@HOTPOP.COM