Possibility of a book review: Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!

Bernard Pope

Apr 15, 2011, 12:18:27 AM4/15/11
to fpu...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

As the google group owner of the FPU list, I've received an email from the publishers of a new book about Haskell called "Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!". You can read the book online here:

http://learnyouahaskell.com/

Judging from feedback that I've seen on Reddit (and similar places) the book is well regarded, especially amongst its target audience, which is "people who have experience in imperative programming languages but haven't programmed in a functional language before".

I've already ordered my own copy, because I can't resist books on Haskell, and I may not have time to write a proper review, so I'm throwing it out to the FPU list to see if anyone is interested. From my reading of the email, they are offering a review copy, which I assume means "free" (but I make no guarantees about that).

If you are interested, in the first instance, could you please write to me off list? If we have multiple interested parties then we can negotiate with the publisher.

Cheers,
Bernie.

Tan Yew Wei

Apr 15, 2011, 3:03:05 AM4/15/11
to fpu...@googlegroups.com
I was reading this back when it was still in beta while doing my Discrete Structures course last year. Great introduction to Monads and Functors and to Haskell in general. I personally loved a couple of chapters, but never got round to reading the whole thing.

Hence, I would love to be able to read the whole thing in full and do a thorough review of it. How would I need to follow up?

Thanks.

Bernard Pope

Apr 15, 2011, 3:20:23 AM4/15/11
to fpu...@googlegroups.com
We can discuss it off the list. I'll send you an email.

Cheers,
Bernie.

Nick Downing

Apr 15, 2011, 7:36:04 AM4/15/11
to fpu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the heads up, I'm trying to avoid another buildup of paper
books since having to clear out a whole lot last year, but I will
certainly point my comp30020 class at the online copy.
cheers, Nick