Editing the Gds for custom message macros

Aaron Mcdaniel

Apr 27, 2021, 6:35:55 PM4/27/21
to F´ Community Group
How do I edit the Gds GUI? I've found the index.html file and tried to do something as simple as change the text in a button, but it doesn't seem to change how the Gds is displayed. Do I need to do something more than pip install the Gds when I'm editing the GUI for changes to show up?

Context
I'm trying to add a tool to the Gds that will send a series of commands. I'm essentially trying to upload a file without using the Svc::FileUplink component because of space concerns on my target platform.

I'm planning on making a new tab specifically for my project that has a file select option and a "send" button for starting the upload process.

My current deployment has a command for putting buffers in specific locations in an external memory chip. What I need is the ability to select a file from the Gds, and have the Gds send a series of these commands to effectively upload the file to the external memory chip.

I've found out where the command list is stored, and how commands are generated in the Gds, but I'm not sure how to edit the GUI for the Gds.

Is there any support for adding custom tabs to the GDS or any customization at all? I'd like to integrate this tool into the GDS instead of making a standalone app for this process

Thanks,
Aaron McDaniel

Anderson, Joshua L (US 348C)

Apr 27, 2021, 7:06:55 PM4/27/21
to Aaron Mcdaniel, F´ Community Group

I'm been bit by this before too.

As you've mentioned making sure your pip installed version of the GDS is up to date is important. I've been bit by weird caching issues before.

If you're editing the GDS, I recommend installing with 'pip install –editable' so your local GDS folder is symlinked into the pip package directory and you can just edit in place.

- Joshua Anderson

Aaron Mcdaniel

Apr 28, 2021, 10:00:30 AM4/28/21
to F´ Community Group
That worked. I figured it was something simple. Now my new Tab and other changes are showing up. Thanks for the help!