building .debs and .rpms from python modules/programs

Tim Coote

Jun 1, 2018, 5:34:06 AM6/1/18
to fpm-users
Hullo

I'm not clear that this is the right place to pose this question as activity also seems to happen on github. However, I'll post there later, if I get no response.

I'm trying to build .debs to package up python packages that include python dependencies that are not themselves packaged as .debs.  I'm coming to the conclusion that to do this I'd need to package up all dependent python modules as .debs, too; with names like python-module.

I'd prefer to get pip to install the dependencies based on what's in `requirements.txt`, but that does not seem to happen with the .debs (or .rpms) created with fpm.

Since replicating the python module dependency in .debs contradicts DRY, is my only route to add a --after-install script to `pip install -r requirements.txt`, or publish the package to pypi.org and `pip install package` ?

tia
tc