Building rpm much slower than deb?

rbr...@excitedcuriosity.org

Mar 19, 2019, 8:21:33 PM3/19/19
to fpm-users
I am using fpm to generate both an RPM and a deb from the same (large) set of artifacts. The build happens in parallel, and the deb creation finishes in ~3 minutes while the RPM creation takes almost 8 minutes. The resulting package file sizes are almost the same. It seems surprising to me that the RPM takes almost triple the time, but perhaps that's normal?

Has anyone else seen this type of behavior? There is plenty of compressed content in the package (Java JAR files), perhaps that could be the issue?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Jordan Sissel

Mar 19, 2019, 8:27:26 PM3/19/19
to fpm-...@googlegroups.com
I don’t have any immediate hypothesis for why this would happen. I wouldn’t say that it’s normal for rpmbuild to take 2.5x longer than deb building.

Can you describe more about your artifacts - like how many files? And maybe how large the resulting package is?

Robert Brewer

Mar 20, 2019, 2:15:56 PM3/20/19
to fpm-...@googlegroups.com
There are 38338 files in the source directory, and the resulting package is 1.5G in size.