Free iCEcube2 license removed by Lattice-Will this influence icestudio?

David Briscoe

Apr 20, 2024, 4:48:17 PMApr 20
to FPGAwars: explorando el lado libre
Lattice has removed the free iCEcube2 license and is now charging a subscription fee as discussed here

Will this have an influence on icestudio now or in the future?

charli va

Apr 20, 2024, 4:52:40 PMApr 20
to fpga-wars-explora...@googlegroups.com
Hi! iceCube2 is the lattice software, icestudio uses yosys under it, for the moment we are not affected for this.

Thanks for your advice!

--
Has recibido este mensaje porque estás suscrito al grupo "FPGAwars: explorando el lado libre" de Grupos de Google.
Para cancelar la suscripción a este grupo y dejar de recibir sus mensajes, envía un correo electrónico a fpga-wars-explorando-el...@googlegroups.com.

Juan Gonzalez Gomez

Apr 20, 2024, 6:47:30 PMApr 20
to FPGA-WARS: explorando el lado libre
Yes. Icecube is propietary software. They can change their license as they want. If they do not want you to download icecube for free it is ok

But Icestudio is open source, based only on open source tools. You have the rigth to used is as you want. No matter what  the icecube licensese is

That is one of the reason for including the lattice ice40 fpgas as open source fpgas: you no longer need lattices'Software to use them. You  have the rigth to use the open source tools, modify them, and redistribute them as you want

Juan Gonzalez Gomez

Apr 20, 2024, 6:52:23 PMApr 20
to FPGA-WARS: explorando el lado libre
And i can assure you that the people involve in icestudio will continue to mantain it for many years.

In the future, if we no longer can maintain it, others will do it, as it is open source

Democrito

May 6, 2024, 10:57:22 AMMay 6
to FPGAwars: explorando el lado libre
I don't use Icecube2, but for those interested, today I saw this news:

<<
Lattice has heard the complaints of the FPGA community and restored FREE license for educators, hobbyists, and hackers like us! Wooo!

License can be requested here (send them an email with your MAC address):  https://www.latticesemi.com....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRQS047_FVM