Graphical layout - even spacing

Tim Rudy

Nov 20, 2023, 2:43:37 PM11/20/23
to FPGAwars: explorando el lado libre
Hi -
  Icestudio automatically adjusts the layout of links; JointJS does this. What about doing other type of layout or "reflow", or alignment?

  I looked briefly at JavaScript graph visualization libraries. There are things like D3.js, svg.js, Cytoscape.js, and maybe GraphGL, JointJS. Other tools: graphviz and neato.

  Anyway, it would be pretty useful to select a group of blocks and then have menu choices for visual layout: Align horizontally; Align vertically; "Display in a nice group" or anything.

  Does anyone have some knowledge or thoughts on this graphical layout?

  The simple ones - to space and align blocks evenly, by their edge or corner position - could be done quite easily in JS within Icestudio. Should I open an issue?
  Regards, Tim

charli va

Nov 20, 2023, 3:17:23 PM11/20/23
to fpga-wars-explora...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim!! Your ideas are great, I am very aligned with your thoughts and I have been working for a long time on a new graphic system, I have not released anything to you yet because although I have sketches, I am still reorganizing important core things that are necessary for us to build something robust and evolves well over time. Personally, I don't like jointjs at all XD

I hope to show you the new version very soon, I am trying to consolidate stable versions of the things I am working on and get them out to you as soon as possible so we can discuss and work on it.

Regarding the new graphic design, I hope it will be much easier to work with, both at the icestudio and IDE levels, as well as at the development level and that you can all help me improve it from the new base.

This week I am finishing and I will post the last features discussed about the global parameters, but I think it could be very interesting if we continue in this thread sharing ideas, drawings by hand or in digital and illustrating some interesting features, about it... or if you prefer open an issue on github to discuss there , is perfect too, where you prefer.

Very soon I will publish my roadmap with the things I am working on and the things that are in mind for the near future, but have not been started yet and also give me your opinion and priorities so I can weigh them.

I plan to focus on the graphical environment very soon, but first I need to solve other important things like completely decoupling the current one and eliminating the dependency on angularjs from the entire system.

Regarding your ideas, they seem very fresh to me!! Why don't you tell us more about your ideas on group designs? Specifically, I find this very interesting and useful.

Thank you very much for everything Tim, I'm very happy to see you here!

--
Has recibido este mensaje porque estás suscrito al grupo "FPGAwars: explorando el lado libre" de Grupos de Google.
Para cancelar la suscripción a este grupo y dejar de recibir sus mensajes, envía un correo electrónico a fpga-wars-explorando-el...@googlegroups.com.

Tim Rudy

Nov 20, 2023, 6:14:12 PM11/20/23
to FPGAwars: explorando el lado libre
We're aligned?! OK! There's nothing like a picture to give the vision - just some automated help for layout.
Someone else can work on it for a nice little programming project ;-)
Looking forward to each enhancement as it is ready! Thanks

MenuForAlign.png

charli va

Nov 20, 2023, 7:44:31 PM11/20/23
to fpga-wars-explora...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this is how I imagined the part you described as ordering or alignment, it is like graphic design tools like Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape, but I think that in addition to this, you were referring to representing the design in another way more like a graph! XD

I agree with you that this particular "alignment function" could be an improvement that some folk could develop, if someone is encouraged and comments here or in the issues that have my help.

Everything that is developed for this in jointjs will be easily migrated to the new system that I am developing, in fact my idea is that for a while the two coexist and you can select between the new and the "classic mode" so if anyone dares to moving forward with this would be great.