More talks needed for this Wednesday 24th April.

Ben Lippmeier

Apr 20, 2019, 12:10:29 AM4/20/19
to fp-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone.
I’m giving a talk on Wednesday (abstract attached), but our other speaker has a conflict, and Erik is currently overseas. Does anyone have anything they want to present? Talks of any length are ok. You could give a 15 minute unrehearsed spiel about something you read about, or hacked on over the long weekend...

Cheers.
Ben.

(abstract for my own talk)

Smart Contracts as Authorized Production Rules

Rainfall is a new programming model for permissioned distributed ledgers. Rainfall consists of a tuple space of authorized facts, and a set of rules. The rules match on the facts, collecting their authorization, and produce new facts with a subset of the collected authorization. Rainfall allows assets like crypto currencies to be defined in user code, instead of needing to be baked into the system, while being more general than account based ledgers like Ethereum. The Rainfall authority system is a dynamic version of the static Dependency Core Calculus (DCC), and supports some useful safety properties. For example, we can prove Authority Flow, which says that a rule can only produce a fact that is authorized by a particular party, if that rule also consumed a fact that was authorized by the same party.

Ben Lippmeier

Apr 20, 2019, 7:54:20 AM4/20/19
to fp-...@googlegroups.com

> On 20 Apr 2019, at 2:10 pm, Ben Lippmeier <be...@ouroborus.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Everyone.
> I’m giving a talk on Wednesday (abstract attached), but our other speaker has a conflict, and Erik is currently overseas. Does anyone have anything they want to present? Talks of any length are ok. You could give a 15 minute unrehearsed spiel about something you read about, or hacked on over the long weekend…

Rongmin has kindy offered to give a talk for us. Abstract follows:

Title: William Lawvere and the paradox generating machine

Abstract: What do Cantor's theorem, Russell's paradox and the existence of the Y combinator have in common? They're consequences of a 50-year-old theorem in category theory by Lawvere. We'll start with the usual proof of Cantor's theorem and show how a more functional approach would lead to (a special case of) Lawvere's result. No category theory is assumed, and there will be paradoxes and (some) pictures.

> (abstract for my own talk)
>
> Smart Contracts as Authorized Production Rules
>
> Rainfall is a new programming model for permissioned distributed ledgers. Rainfall consists of a tuple space of authorized facts, and a set of rules. The rules match on the facts, collecting their authorization, and produce new facts with a subset of the collected authorization. Rainfall allows assets like crypto currencies to be defined in user code, instead of needing to be baked into the system, while being more general than account based ledgers like Ethereum. The Rainfall authority system is a dynamic version of the static Dependency Core Calculus (DCC), and supports some useful safety properties. For example, we can prove Authority Flow, which says that a rule can only produce a fact that is authorized by a particular party, if that rule also consumed a fact that was authorized by the same party.

See you Wednesday!

Ben.