Next meeting on Wednesday September 25th

Erik de Castro Lopo

Sep 22, 2019, 9:11:08 PM9/22/19
to fp-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The next meeting will be help on Wednesday September 25th.

This month we have two talks:

Erik de Castro Lopo : Haskell and PostgreSQL
Michael Sproul : CakeML for the Working Programmer

Abstracts below.

The RSVP is here:

https://www.meetup.com/FP-Syd/events/vcqlmpyzmbhc/

Doors open at 6pm, meeting proper starts at 6:30.

Everybody who intends to show up on the night shoud RSVP ASAP to allow our
hosts Atlassian to sort out the catering. People who said they were
going but now find that they can't should likewise update their status.

Cheers,
Erik

Haskell with PostgreSQL
-----------------------
In March of 2015 I spoke of using Haskell with PostgreSQL. That
application was closed source so was not something could not be used
as a source of code examples. I am now working on a open source
application which again uses Haskell libraries like Persistent and
Esqueleto to interact with PostgreSQL. I will describe the application,
detail some of the unusual design decisions and reitertate my fondness
for Haskell, Persistent and Esqueleto to interacting with PostgerSQL.

Erik de Castro Lopo
http://www.mega-nerd.com/

Michael Sproul

Sep 22, 2019, 10:31:49 PM9/22/19
to fp-syd
Here's the abstract for my talk:

CakeML for the Working Programmer
CakeML is a verified compiler for a dialect of Standard ML, which promises to
enable formal verification of your favourite high-level programs -- whilst also
generating passable machine code. But what's it like to actually use?  What
pitfalls and sharp corners await the working programmer as they leave behind
the comfort of their industrial upbringing to ascend the jagged face of the
ivory tower? I'll present a brief introduction to CakeML, followed by an
"experience report" about using it to build systems software.