Next FP Syd: Wednesday, 22 May, 2024

Jost Berthold

May 18, 2024, 8:51:41 PMMay 18
to fp-syd
This month in FP Syd, we will refresh our memory about R. As usual, doors open at 6pm for the talk to start around 6:45.Huw Campbell: Twisted Sister - We R not going to mutate it.
R is a lazy, mostly pure, functional programming language with ad-hoc
polymorphism, and is designed for statistics and data science practice.
In this talk, we'll be going into R's core types, semantics, and functional
nature; showing why R is both extremely useful, and also somewhat maligned
(and misunderstood) by many software developers.
Using approachable examples, we'll demonstrate some unusual features of R,
exploring a few DSLs for data manipulation and graphics through dplyr and ggplot.
We'll talk about how R's lazy lisp heritage make these libraries possible.
Afterwards, we'll deep dive into some of R's more esoteric features, including
its odd, vectorised, primitive types; its FFI; overloading mechanism; non-standard evaluation; and
delimited continuations.
Finally, we'll brush up on some fun R usage and utilities, hopefully giving a
good understanding of why R can be a great addition to your software toolbox. (edited)Please RSVP on meetup or let the organisers know you are coming: https://www.meetup.com/fp-syd/events/300694163/