Welcome to fp-southwales, the South Wales Functional Programming User Group

Andy Gimblett

Oct 14, 2009, 7:13:47 AM10/14/09
to fp-southwales
This is the inaugural posting to the fp-southwales mailing list!

I invite new members to introduce themselves, and/or start some
discussion about when we should meet, and what we should do.

I'm Andy Gimblett, a research assistant at Swansea CompSci. I've been
getting into Haskell steadily over the last 5 years or so,
increasingly so in the last year. I started this group because I
wanted to share some of the things I've learnt with a new crop of
upcoming programmers and researchers, and because I want to learn from
some of the smarter people around me. :-)

Phil Grant, CompSci's Head of Department, has told me that we're
welcome to use the Robert Recorde Room for meetings and talks, so the
question is: what, and when?

To get the ball rolling, I could offer some practical talks, eg "The
Haskell ecosystem" (platform, tools, libraries, etc.), "Writing &
testing parsers with Parsec and QuickCheck", "HughesPJ: the pretty
text construction kit", "GUI programming with wxHaskell".

I'm guessing a mid-week evening would be best, but exactly which one
is going to depend on membership. I think we should see how many
people actually join the group before settling on a time. :-)

It might also be worth getting together socially, for a more informal
discussion of how to proceed (or just anyway). We could meet in the
RR room, or a nearby venue such as The Pub On The Pond or The Woodman?

So: what do people think?

Happy Haskelling!

-Andy

Neil Davies

Oct 14, 2009, 9:24:37 AM10/14/09
to fp-southwales
Could I vote for a Thursday or failing that a Wednesday?

I live a fair way away (Somerset), but I am in Swansea often. About
one Wed (6:30pm) to Friday (6:30pm) every three or four weeks. I would
arrange
my vists to correspond.

As a Haskeller, I'm rather old in the tooth - I've been using non-
strict FP since
it was Miranda - so my Haskell use is many years old.

Neil

Andrew Price

Oct 14, 2009, 12:16:00 PM10/14/09
to fp-southwales
Hi,

I'm Andrew Price, a CompSci graduate of Swansea University and general
open source dabbler, currently residing in Cardiff. I've been learning
more about the practical side of Haskell recently having been
introduced to it at university. I've also dabbled in Lisp and Arc. I
find Haskell's separation of pure code from side effects to be an
attractive idea, and worth the struggle to learn around, although I'm
yet to be entirely convinced that it's a desirable feature from a real-
world practical software engineering perspective.

On Oct 14, 12:13 pm, Andy Gimblett <hask...@gimbo.org.uk> wrote:
> To get the ball rolling, I could offer some practical talks, eg "The
> Haskell ecosystem" (platform, tools, libraries, etc.), "Writing &
> testing parsers with Parsec and QuickCheck", "HughesPJ: the pretty
> text construction kit", "GUI programming with wxHaskell".

All of the above sound like good talk subjects to me. I would suggest
sticking to more advanced subjects or aspects that you're currently
interested in/learning. Introductory subjects could be linked to from
the group web page.

> I'm guessing a mid-week evening would be best, but exactly which one
> is going to depend on membership.  I think we should see how many
> people actually join the group before settling on a time.  :-)

Well, the group is young; now is the time to experiment with these
things :-)

> It might also be worth getting together socially, for a more informal
> discussion of how to proceed (or just anyway).  We could meet in the
> RR room, or a nearby venue such as The Pub On The Pond or The Woodman?

That would be worth a trip to Swansea. No preference on venue, but a
quiet atmosphere and good ales is a bonus ;-)

I look forward to exchanging FP ideas with you,

Andrew

Cal Paterson

Oct 15, 2009, 3:00:26 AM10/15/09
to fp-southwales
Hello,

I'm Cal, an undergraduate with Aberystwyth. I did Haskell last year
as part of my course, and went to Utrecht University this summer to do
more. I'm especially interested in Haskell as far as theory goes
(lambda calc, types etc) though I am still learning. I was also
previously involved with Common Lisp.

I'm wondering, though, I live a little far away for this? The buses
probably don't work in my favour.

Cal