"GoFish" not installed error on VFP startup and Check For Updates

Tamar

Jan 8, 2020, 9:18:05 AM1/8/20
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro

I've just configured a new computer, including installing Thor and GoFish (via Thor). Each time I start VFP or run Thor's Check For Updates, I get this message:

---------------------------
GoFish not installed
---------------------------
GoFish is not installed; unable to proceed
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

In Check For Updates, it happens after dismissing the Thor Update Status dialog.

GoFish is installed; I can open it and search. I've given GoFish a hotkey, but it's not included in Startup Apps and I haven't set up any Popup Menus.

In an email message, Jim Nelson says the error is coming from one of the PRGs in the Thor Tools folder; probably "thor_tool_repository_gotogofish4.prg". I didn't install GoFish 4, so I don't know why that routine is firing.

Any ideas, anyone?

Tamar

Jim Nelson

Jan 8, 2020, 9:49:29 AM1/8/20
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Check the "Startup Tools" tab on the Thor Config screen.

My guess is that something about GF is marked there to start up.

Jim Nelson

(805) 498-9195 (preferred)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)

Koen Piller

Jan 8, 2020, 11:56:07 PM1/8/20
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Hi Jim,
(long time no see)
I have exactly the same message "GoFish is not installed unable to proceed". Have learned to ignore and everything works fine, except that from time to time an error message appears "Code is missing" (or something the like) in which case I better log of - restart VFP9SP2 - install Thor again and voila no problem.
After your reply to Tamar about the "GoFish is not installed.." I rechecked the GoFish configuration screen:  nothing about GoFish checked.
Do you have any other ideas?
F.y.i. I am working with GoFish4 version 5.0.163 2/12/2017
Greetings,
Koen

Jim Nelson

Jan 9, 2020, 12:43:38 AM1/9/20
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
If you are interested in pursuing this, I suggest that you pursue the following ...

There are a few PRGs in the Thor Tools menu that create that error message.  Put a stop in them at the call to MessageBox.  The execution stack at that time should provide information about what is calling them.  This might be all you need.

Koen Piller

Jan 9, 2020, 6:34:32 AM1/9/20
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Jim,
'a few programs in the Thor Tools menu'  do you have any specific file in mind?
Usually I do have some difficulties debugging Thor files since the frequently used execscript() to perform a procedure, debugger does not like that.
Regards,
Koen

Jim Nelson

Jan 9, 2020, 6:35:38 AM1/9/20
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Sorry.

In the Thor Tools folder.

Tamar

Jan 9, 2020, 10:01:22 AM1/9/20
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Bingo. I had "Replace code window context menu items" checked. Unchecked that and all is well.

Of course, I'd like to have that option checked. Guess I (or someone else) will have to fix that code, which must depend on GoFish 4. This also explains why I didn't have this problem on my old machine. I have GoFish 4 installed there.

Tamar

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 7:18 AM Tamar <ta...@thegranors.com> wrote:

[...]

Jim Nelson

Jan 9, 2020, 10:07:11 AM1/9/20
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
TA DA!

Glad I could help.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FoxProThor/a8443481-8b69-4ac1-8d3a-06ddb518330c%40googlegroups.com.

Koen Piller

Jan 10, 2020, 8:51:11 AM1/10/20
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Jim,
100% correct, the item should be unchecked an no more ridiculous warning.
Thanks a lot.
Koen

Koen Piller

Jan 10, 2020, 9:08:41 AM1/10/20
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Jim,
do you also have such an elegant solution for my error message "Variable CLASS is not found"  which is even more annoying as I found only to solve it by quitting VFP and reactivating Thor and my actual project.
Regards,
Koen
P.S.  No I dont have a clue or pattern when this one is activated, it gets activated on for me random moments. Would love to make the app to stop on this message to find the reason.

Koen Piller

Jan 10, 2020, 9:15:02 AM1/10/20
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Jim,
I had lauched my errorcather before opening thor/gofish5 and please read:

10-01-2020 15:10:42 Error:12
Filename:     C:\temp\E012010151042log.txt
Message:      Variable 'CLASS' is not found.
Command:      ...
Method:       REGISTERAPPWITHTHOR
Line:         274
Netwerk info: LAPTOPVANKOEN # koenp
Call Stack (Descending)
-----------------------
tryregisterwiththor (Line: 274) {d:\thor\gofish-master\gofish.prg d:\thor\gofish-master\gofish5.app}
gofish (Line: 178) {d:\thor\gofish-master\gofish.prg d:\thor\gofish-master\gofish5.app}
ON...  (Line: 155) {d:\thor\gofish-master\gofish.prg d:\thor\gofish-master\gofish5.app}
registerappwiththor (Line: 21) {d:\thor\gofish-master\gofish.prg d:\thor\gofish-master\gofish5.app}
registerwiththor (Line: 274) {d:\thor\gofish-master\gofish.prg d:\thor\gofish-master\gofish5.app}
tryregisterwiththor (Line: 178) {d:\thor\gofish-master\gofish.prg d:\thor\gofish-master\gofish5.app}
gofish (Line: 155) {d:\thor\gofish-master\gofish.prg d:\thor\gofish-master\gofish5.app}
ON...  (Line: 21) {d:\thor\gofish-master\gofish.prg d:\thor\gofish-master\gofish5.app}

Jim Nelson

Jan 10, 2020, 9:18:57 AM1/10/20
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, Koen, no guesses here.