Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

KoenP

no leída,
2 feb 2021, 12:51:472/2/21
a GoFish

Hi,

It seems to me GoFish5 keeps results in its memory.
Example:

I search in my Project for ".ID"
lots of instances found. I click on the first and rename in Form SetDistances.scx the controlsource of txtID from curDistance.ID into curDistance.Distance_ID.
I click on the GoFish button (to 're-search')
The form SetDistances is shown again.
When I than click to open the form SetDistances again the ControlSource is already changed, it should not have been listed.
Am I missing a setting like 'clear resources' here?
Stay healthy,

Koen

KoenP

no leída,
4 feb 2021, 5:44:264/2/21
a GoFish
I am using GoFish5
Look at the screenprints:
Print -1 is my GosFish screen.
As you can see it finds in procedure Picbtns.cmdAdd.Click a line containein .Id which is my search
GoFish5-1.pngGoFish5-2.png

This line was changed yesterday, into Declaraties.declaraties_ID . And when I click on the record in Match Line, the procedure is opened but there is no .Id anymore, I changed it yesterday.
I had shutdown yesterday and restarted fresh today.
Where did GoFish find this .Id ?

Stay healthy.

Koen

Op dinsdag 2 februari 2021 om 18:51:47 UTC+1 schreef KoenP:

Mike Yearwood

no leída,
4 feb 2021, 9:07:454/2/21
a foxpro...@googlegroups.com
I often wonder why people write code in such dbase 3 style.

append blank in alias1
replace field with alias1.id in alias2

Way less typing. Way more clear.

KoenP

no leída,
4 feb 2021, 9:49:374/2/21
a GoFish
Mike,
Thanks for your positive critics on my code. However I am afraid this has nothing at all to do with the error I envountered in GoFIsh5, don't you think?
Stay healthy
Koen

Op donderdag 4 februari 2021 om 15:07:45 UTC+1 schreef mikeyearwood:

Mike Yearwood

no leída,
4 feb 2021, 11:16:254/2/21
a foxpro...@googlegroups.com
All bad code is bad. Don't you know?

Mike Yearwood

no leída,
4 feb 2021, 11:19:384/2/21
a foxpro...@googlegroups.com
You are using a screwdriver to hurt someone, and you ask if you hold the screwdriver badly, but we are to ignore what you use it for? Why don't you learn from better examples with thanks and no snark.

KoenP

no leída,
4 feb 2021, 11:42:444/2/21
a GoFish
Mike,

OK I agree, my code is not up to your/modern standards. Bur what has that to do with my GoFish5 problem?
Stay healthy,
Koen

Op donderdag 4 februari 2021 om 17:19:38 UTC+1 schreef mikeyearwood:

KoenP

no leída,
4 feb 2021, 11:49:594/2/21
a GoFish
Mike,
In which forum do you prefer to exchange / discuss this subject? I am open to your suggestion, dont think this GoFish5 forum is the correct place.
Stay healthy,
Koen

Op donderdag 4 februari 2021 om 17:42:44 UTC+1 schreef KoenP:

KoenP

no leída,
27 mar 2021, 7:21:1627/3/21
a GoFish
Matt,
with  the new update (170) the feature as described in my question in this topic is also solved.
Thanks
Stay healthy,
Koen

Op donderdag 4 februari 2021 om 17:49:59 UTC+1 schreef KoenP:

Mike Yearwood

no leída,
28 mar 2021, 8:34:3228/3/21
a foxpro...@googlegroups.com
I never saw your continued replies. GoFish is made in Foxpro. It is used by Fox developers. Who are you to tell me what is appropriate? I suggest you not use the phrase don't you think. I always think. Others do not seem to.

KoenP

no leída,
28 mar 2021, 12:58:0328/3/21
a GoFish
Mike,
I am puzzled, why do you believe I tell you it is not appropiate? I highly appreciate your positive critics on my code however I am afraid I dont see what it has to do with my remarks about GoFish. That you did not see my continued replies is correct, I never continued to reply you, I was waiting for your reply. Still waiting for your suggestion.
Stay healthy,
Koen

Op zondag 28 maart 2021 om 14:34:32 UTC+2 schreef mikeyearwood:

Mike Yearwood

no leída,
28 mar 2021, 14:23:2428/3/21
a foxpro...@googlegroups.com
I already told you why it is appropriate. I do not see much value in continuing to offer advice to those who do not appreciate it or accept it without malice.

Russell Campbell

no leída,
28 mar 2021, 21:06:5028/3/21
a GoFish
Mike,

You didn't even try to answer his question, but went straight to criticizing his code. And then continued with "All bad code is bad."

Mike Yearwood

no leída,
28 mar 2021, 21:19:4528/3/21
a foxpro...@googlegroups.com
All bad code is bad. We as a species live with crap until it blows up. Like the Suez Canal. He posted code in a  forum. I see junk and I comment on it.

Mike Yearwood

no leída,
28 mar 2021, 21:41:0728/3/21
a foxpro...@googlegroups.com
Egoless programming. I have helped lots of people. Some give me shit like you can't imagine. If he did not post the code here, he never would have known it could be done better. I give up being nice to those who don't know better. Where ignorance is bliss it is folly to be wise, does not mean wisdom is bad. It means ignoring wisdom is bad.

Jürgen Wondzinski

no leída,
28 mar 2021, 23:57:1628/3/21
a foxpro...@googlegroups.com

Mike,

me thinks you had some bad days lately?  Your harsh answers aren’t really appropriate. Yes his code is Fox2.x style,  but stil works flawlessly.
And I agree with Koen: This is the Gofish Support forum, he came for a GoFish problem, and your snarky responses had nothing to do with his problem.

And then you don’t even realize that foreigners use the British-English way of communicating, which you found offending. (“I always think”). Where on the other side of the pond learnt to be friendly in conversations, that’s why we politely ask “Don’t you  think, that maybe,….”.  Yea, real British!  :=)

It’s really strange, back in the days I remembered you as a polite, cheerful and helping guy. But that exchange here has ruined your whole reputation, sorry pal.

With kind regards from Bavaria

Jürgen Wondzinski

Visual FoxPro Evangelist

Microsoft "Most Valuable Professional" from 1996 to 2009, "Servoy Valued Professional“ 2011

My XING Profile, and LinkedIn and Facebook and Google+ and Twitter and…..
GCS d+ s:+ a+++ C++ !U P--- L E? W++ N++ o-- K--? w+++ O? !M--? V-- PS PE !Y? !PGP t 5 X R tv- b DI+ D? G e++ h-- r+++ y+++

Mike Yearwood

no leída,
29 mar 2021, 2:07:3329/3/21
a foxpro...@googlegroups.com
I see. So he can post bad code and I cannot comment, but you perceive my comments as bad but can comment?

How about people grow the hell up? I did not call him a pedophile. I said he writes dbase 3 code. Big frigging deal.

Mike Yearwood

no leída,
29 mar 2021, 2:08:5329/3/21
a foxpro...@googlegroups.com
I work with crap code every day. The whole system is flawed and broken but the company thinks it works too.

Mike Yearwood

no leída,
29 mar 2021, 2:10:3429/3/21
a foxpro...@googlegroups.com
Further, it is the vicious responses permitted by the various sites over the years that has made me not care about feelings.

Russell Campbell

no leída,
29 mar 2021, 18:34:0229/3/21
a GoFish
Mike,

You made a lot of assumptions. First, that code could have been written a long time ago. Second, if he writes code like this, but designs his databases well, breaks his code down into atomic pieces, comments well, uses meaningful procedure and variable names, and practices other good techniques, I'd enjoy supporting this code all day long. Third, you just seem to think everyone should program like you. There's no requirement for that. And what you see as crap is of no consequence to me. What I call crap is a program where each time a menu item is selected, it executes a CLOSE ALL. Multitasking by the users? Ha! No chance there. Or writing INSERTs (hey, at least it was an insert) that explicitly populate logic fields with false, character fields with the empty string, and numeric fields with a zero, when we know those fields will be populated that way by default (assuming no DEFAULT values in the DBC) and they could be skipped. Or crappy variable and procedure names that tell you nothing about what's going on (so the code can be somewhat self-documenting, though fully self-documenting code is a lie told by lazy programmers). Or non-normalized databases (though normalization can be taken too far). Or methods and procedures that are hundreds of lines long. Or crappy code formatting, which helps send readability into the toilet. And, of course, the same code repeated all over the place instead of centralized into a procedure/function/method so as to be reusable.

What you saw there was perfectly acceptable code that merely does things a bit less efficiently than you do them. But definitely not crap.

Mike Yearwood

no leída,
30 mar 2021, 9:25:2630/3/21
a foxpro...@googlegroups.com
1 - It is my RIGHT to call out what is wrong, outdated, inefficient. It is my right to hold the opinion that poorly written outdated approaches are crap. There is room for improvement in everything. It is my RIGHT to post my comment where I saw the problem. I gave a better version, so it was constructive criticism. It is irrelevant when it was written. It exists and is crap now. I need not go to all the trouble of starting a thread in another site since I had finished making my simple statement. Koen agreed but continued to suggest I take this elsewhere.

Several of you think the code is good enough. Disappointing but typical.

Now you step on my freedom of speech and act as if I'm doing wrong resisting Koen's suggestion to go elsewhere with this. The matter was done when I made my statement.

We can all do better code. That's the point.

I don't need permission or advice when I was doing the right thing where it needed to be done.

KoenP

no leída,
14 abr 2021, 9:36:4914/4/21
a GoFish
Mike,
It is your right to call my code crap. You forgot that on this forum we ask a question and it is politely to respond to that question provided you know the answer. It is not correct, indeed it is crap to pinpoint to  a piece of code in the question which is working flawlessly which can be composed in an other way and than call it crap just because you know a second solution for the  syntax. Both syntaxes, yours and mine, work fine and there is nothing wrong with my syntax except that you call it crap. I find your comment crap and I can modify:  Your comment does not reply in anyway to my question.  My code works fine and quick. No need at all to criticize it, unless you find it funny to show us that there are more than one way to compose a syntax. When you call my code crap and you cannot modify your statement  I than call your statement tomfoolery unless your explication of crap code is different to mine.
Stay healthy,
Koen

Op dinsdag 30 maart 2021 om 15:25:26 UTC+2 schreef mikeyearwood:

Mike Yearwood

no leída,
14 abr 2021, 18:29:5114/4/21
a foxpro...@googlegroups.com
It is crappy code and for that matter everything humans do that slows progress. What so many stupidly call good enough is ignorant of the truth that there is room for improvement in everything. Except for stupidity which is limitless.

Mike Yearwood

no leída,
14 abr 2021, 18:31:4814/4/21
a foxpro...@googlegroups.com
Furthermore, I deliberately posted code on levelextreme and many people automatically offered suggestions to improve it. Deny human nature all you want.

On Wed., Apr. 14, 2021, 9:36 a.m. KoenP, <koen....@gmail.com> wrote:

Russell Campbell

no leída,
14 abr 2021, 21:19:2214/4/21
a GoFish
You just think you need to tell everyone this all the time, I guess. It's you RIGHT, you say. There's a lot more to good code than perfect efficiency and you've really accomplished nothing except to show your arrogance and your complete lack of tact.

Mike Yearwood

no leída,
15 abr 2021, 6:00:4415/4/21
a foxpro...@googlegroups.com
Good. The stupid need tactless non-diplomatic education. Who appointed you morality god?

Mike Yearwood

no leída,
15 abr 2021, 6:01:5615/4/21
a foxpro...@googlegroups.com
Koen could not debug the errors he trips over in GoFish. I did it.

Mike Yearwood

no leída,
15 abr 2021, 6:11:2915/4/21
a foxpro...@googlegroups.com
The world is full of stupidity because of enablers.

On Wed., Apr. 14, 2021, 9:19 p.m. Russell Campbell, <russca...@interthink.com> wrote:

KoenP

no leída,
15 abr 2021, 12:08:5515/4/21
a GoFish
Mike,
quote Koen could not debug the errors he trips over in GoFish. I did it unquote
and I never show anybody anything.

Op donderdag 15 april 2021 om 12:11:29 UTC+2 schreef mikeyearwood:
Responder a todos
Responder al autor
Reenviar
0 mensajes nuevos