Foursquare API vs. Foursquare App location accuracy

Tishmatic

Nov 15, 2011, 9:00:24 PM11/15/11
to foursqu...@googlegroups.com

I am using the Foursquare API for a web app, however the records i get from Foursquare API are not really accurate for the current location.

The Foursquare App on my mobile device always returns accurate result for the current location, but the results returned through the API for my web app is often different and not very accurate. Any ideas why there is a delta between the Foursquare results from 4Sq android app, and 4sq API?

Thanks.

//getting GPS locaiton through following

function doGeolocation() { if (navigator.geolocation) { navigator.geolocation.watchPosition(positionSuccess, positionError, { enableHighAccuracy:true });

} else {
  positionError
(-1);
}   }

//foursquare API call

$apicall = "https://api.foursquare.com/v2/venues/search?ll=" . $_GET["geolat"] . "," . $_GET["geolong"] . "&limit=30&client_id=XXX";

Akshay Patil

Nov 16, 2011, 5:34:20 PM11/16/11
to foursqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Satish,

Sounds like your issue is with the browser's underlying location. We can't help you with that here -- foursquare locations are different depending on where you anchor your query from. That being said, our results account for some amount of uncertainty of base location, which is why we return results based on relevancy rather than strict distance.

~ak
--
Akshay Patil / Foursquare Platform Evangelist
@akdotcom / @foursquareapi