Foursquare Everywhere

dp

Jan 5, 2010, 4:56:35 PM1/5/10
to foursquare API
First, congrats foursquare team! I'm sure this opens the floodgates
in almost every respect for you guys. It's gonna be a big year.

Second, any big API changes coming down the pipe due to this? It
seems deprecating city id is due to this change. Anything else we
should be wary of... or even look forward to?

Will Carter

Jan 5, 2010, 4:58:33 PM1/5/10
to foursqu...@googlegroups.com
I've seen naveen write that cityid calls should be replaced by geolat + geolong.

and I echo the congrats!

--
will carter
hauntedcastle.org

naveen

Jan 5, 2010, 6:17:08 PM1/5/10
to foursquare API
yah. for now: stop using cityid (and all city methods like /switchcity
in your apps). instead pass "geolat" and "geolong"

most of your apps should be fine. i've been watching call traffic just
to make sure

that's pretty much it; the api has been silently city-agnostic for
most of its life. will update if i think of anything else

On Jan 5, 4:58 pm, Will Carter <will.car...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've seen naveen write that cityid calls should be replaced by geolat + geolong.
>
> and I echo the congrats!

John

Jan 6, 2010, 9:38:45 AM1/6/10
to foursquare API
Did Foursquare Everywhere bring with it an API call for getting "New
Mayors Near X" or "Recent Checkins Near Y?"

naveen

Jan 6, 2010, 10:19:31 AM1/6/10
to foursquare API

On Jan 6, 9:38 am, John <robotshoela...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did Foursquare Everywhere bring with it an API call for getting "New
> Mayors Near X" or "Recent Checkins Near Y?"

we haven't exposed these kinds of queries

you can still get mayors/checkins nearby if you use the /v1/venues
call to pull venues out first (and then parse that data for mayor/
history/etc)

John

Jan 6, 2010, 11:26:02 AM1/6/10
to foursquare API
I was looking more for a feed of the "Newly Crowned Mayors in Z" list
from the 4Sq home page.

naveen

Jan 8, 2010, 4:00:09 PM1/8/10
to foursquare API

On Jan 6, 11:26 am, John <robotshoela...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was looking more for a feed of the "Newly Crowned Mayors in Z" list
> from the 4Sq home page.

ah, interesting feed

we'll add it to the list (too many other priorities to expose)

naveen

Jan 8, 2010, 4:00:57 PM1/8/10
to foursquare API
btw, we just put up a blog post about what "everywhere" means when it
comes to badges, points, city buckets, adding venues, etc

see http://bit.ly/4sq-everywhere

dp

Jan 8, 2010, 4:34:38 PM1/8/10
to foursquare API
Naveen,

I read the blog and changed my home city from Denver to the suburb of
Denver that I'm in. When I called http://api.foursquare.com/v1/user.xml
I still received back a cityid of Denver.

This doesn't cause a problem in any way, I was just wondering if when
you enter a location it geocodes it and finds the nearest finds a
larger city. Are there certain size or distance rules that allow a
prevent a city to stand on its own as far as the API is concerned?

Thanks
-dp

On Jan 8, 2:00 pm, naveen <naveen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> btw, we just put up a blog post about what "everywhere" means when it
> comes to badges, points, city buckets, adding venues, etc
>

> seehttp://bit.ly/4sq-everywhere

dp

Jan 8, 2010, 4:36:15 PM1/8/10
to foursquare API
*correction, cityname, not cityid

On Jan 8, 2:34 pm, dp <bigonthepig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Naveen,
>
> I read the blog and changed my home city from Denver to the suburb of

> Denver that I'm in.  When I calledhttp://api.foursquare.com/v1/user.xml

naveen

Jan 9, 2010, 4:37:57 PM1/9/10
to foursquare API
it's cruft

we couldn't be exactly sure which API clients were still observing
those fields (we can only tell you're hitting /user and not what
you're doing with the data). we didn't want to break your clients
(because many of them user /user for authentication, fetching user
data on launch, etc)

it's deprecated and it will disappear in the near future