CFP for conference on Deleuze, Foucault, and Psychoanalysis

Foucault Circle (admin)

Jun 14, 2017, 1:49:35 PM6/14/17
to Foucault Circle

The Boston Area Deleuze Reading Group is happy to announce it's first annual conference.  Call For Papers and details are here (we hope to see you!):

The Politics of Desire

Deleuze, Foucault, and Psychoanalysis

September 7-8, 2017

Stonehill College

Easton, MA

Call for Papers

In his preface to Deleuze and Guattari's Anti-Oedipus, Michel Foucault notes that in the late sixties, there is a turn away from Freud and, among others things, a movement toward what he called an "experience and technology of desire that were no longer Freudian" (xii). Both Foucault and Deleuze were interested in, and helped usher in this turn and their respective work in these areas spawned larger bodies of literature. This conference will explore the legacy of Deleuze's and Foucault’s critical engagement with psychoanalytic thought.

Possible topics might include but are not limited to:

Genealogy of Desire

Pleasure vs Desire

Schizoanalysis

Care of the Self and Psychoanalysis

Power relations and Psychoanalysis (Bio-power, discipline, governmentality)

Psychoanalysis and Neo-liberalism

Deleuze and/or Foucault and the Unconscious

Deleuze and/or Foucault and Freud

Deleuze and/or Foucault and Lacan

The Politics of Desire and Identity (i.e.: race, sex/gender, sexuality, class, etc).

Desire and the Possibilities and Impossibilities of Revolt, Resistance, and Transformation

Critical Engagements with Deleuze and/or Foucault on any of these topics

Deadline for submissions: July 15

Notification: July 31

Attach abstract of no more than 750 words to an email. We will have two tracks for the conference. One track will be for complete papers to be delivered in the standard manner, and the other will be a 'workshop' track where accepted attendees can discuss works in progress with members of the conference. Please indicate which of the tracks you prefer when submitting your abstract, and if you would like the workshop track, please know that we will ask you to have a partial draft at least two weeks prior to the conference in order to distribute these to attendees so that those attending the workshop session can be prepared to help with feedback.

Prepare abstract for blind review.  Put “Deleuze Foucault Conference” as the subject of the email.

Please send abstracts to:

Edward McGushin (emcg...@stonehill.edu)

and

Geoff Pfeifer (gpfe...@wpi.edu)