Any plan to release a new version based on EPCIS 1.2?

Geoff S

Jan 11, 2019, 3:24:14 PM1/11/19
to fosstrak
Hi,

I work at a large multi-national which is looking at the options for the way forward in track & trace software. I came across your open source library for EPCIS and really interested in the possibilities.

Concerns of a big company are primarily support and stability. Is there is a new release planned based on EPCIS 1.2 and do you have any idea of the installed user base?

Thanks, Geoff

Dave Burbridge

Jan 17, 2019, 7:25:55 AM1/17/19
to fosstrak
Hi Geoff,

As you can see, there seems to be little enthusiasm on taking this demo forward at present:-)

I have dragged it kicking and screaming into 2019, mainly because I use it for a rail-related demonstration system. Off the top of my head I don't know what the main changes are for EPCIS 1.2, so don't know how many changes actually require code changes. Certainly for my own demo there appears to be no problem at present, but I'm not sure that really counts as a rigorous analysis & test:-)

Anyone else?

Regards,
Dave

Marco Steybe

Jan 18, 2019, 3:22:24 AM1/18/19
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Hi

About stability and user base, I cannot give you any facts or numbers. I just know that, among others, people from Telenor Research and Innovation (Norway), Orange Labs (France), T-Systems Deutsche Telekom (Germany), or Tata Consultancy Services (India) were actively using the fosstrak EPCIS project and that stability was never an issue on the mailing list - as far as I can remember.

But I agree with Dave, there is barely any active community left for supporting fosstrak. There are currently no plans that I'm aware of for upgrading it to EPCIS 1.2. Of course, the fosstrak project remains open for any contributions - even from large multi-nationals :-)

Regards,
Marco

Dave Burbridge

Sep 30, 2019, 6:52:17 AM9/30/19
to fosstrak
Just looking again at this, the main differences introduced by 1.1 & 1.2 are listed on page 4 of:

  • EPCIS 1.1 is fully backward compatible with EPCIS 1.0.1.
  • EPCIS 1.1 includes these new or enhanced features:
    • Support for class-level identification is added to ObjectEvent, AggregationEvent, and TransformationEventthrough the addition of quantity lists.
    • A new event type, TransformationEvent, provides for the description of events in which inputs are consumed andoutputs are produced.
    • The “why” dimension of all event types are enhanced so that information about the sources and destinations of business transfers may be included.
    • The “why” dimension of certain event types are enhanced so that item/lot master data may be included.
    • The SimpleEventQueryis enhanced to encompass the above changes to event types.
    • The introductory material is revised to align with the GS1 System Architecture.
    • The XML extension mechanism is explained more fully.
    • The QuantityEventis deprecated, as its functionality is fully subsumed by ObjectEvent with the addition of quantity lists.
  • EPCIS 1.2 is fully backward compatible with EPCIS 1.1 and 1.0.1.
  • EPCIS 1.2 includes these new or enhanced features:
    • A mechanism is introduced to declare that a prior EPCIS event is in error, for use when it is impossible to correct the historical trace by means of ordinary EPCIS events. This mechanism includes the errorDeclaration structure in an EPCIS event and associated query parameters.
    • An optional eventID is added to all EPCIS events. Its main intended use is to allow for an error declaration event to (optionally) refer to one or more corrective events.
    • The Simple Event Query is enhanced to clarify that queries for extension or ILMD fields apply only to top-level XML elements, and a new set of query parameters is introduced to query for XML elements nested within top-level elements.
    • The role of an EPCIS document as a means to transmit events point-to-point is clarified.
    • The EPCIS Header in the XML schemas is enhanced to allow for optional inclusion of master data.
    • The use of extension elements within <readPoint> and <bizLocation> is deprecated.Section 12 regarding conformance is added.
Some of those might be relatively straightforward, but others might need a bit of work...

Regards,
Dave
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to foss...@googlegroups.com.