Two speaker suggestions: Niyam and Savitri

Praveen A

Jan 8, 2014, 1:25:40 AM1/8/14
to fossmeetnitc, FOSSCell, NITC
I think we should get Niyam again this time. He likes NITC and he was
a speaker twice. We discussed the importance of privacy in our current
time and it would be awesome if we invite him to talk about privacy.
He can also talk about interface design, one big lacking area in Free
Software development.

I was discussing with Niyam and we think we should have privacy as the
theme for this years event.

Another suggestion is to call Savitri Singh and we can get IT@ School
and teachers involved in FOSS Meet. She is a pioneer in Open Education
Resources and Creative Commons.

Speakers team get in touch with me and I can connect you with both of them.

Thanks
Praveen

PS: writing this from Niyam's home. I was in Acharya Narendra Dev
college for 2 weeks and Savitri Singh is Principal there.
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍

Vipin Nair

Jan 8, 2014, 3:16:14 AM1/8/14
to fossme...@googlegroups.com, FOSSCell, NITC
+1 for privacy as a theme for this FOSSMeet. I think it is extremely important to spread awareness.

I would suggest, we get Bhairav Acharya to talk on this. He is a constitutional lawyer who drafted the Privacy Bill for the Center for Internet & Society. I can talk to him and see if he is available/willing.

--
Regards,
Vipin

Abhimanyu Mongandh Ambalath

Jan 9, 2014, 3:10:09 AM1/9/14
to fossme...@googlegroups.com
+1 For privacy as the theme, and also.

Realistically is there any initiative that FOSSMeet can take up against Central Monitoring System of India [1] ?

[1]  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Monitoring_System

More details at fossmeet.in
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "FOSSMeet at NITC" group.

Abhimanyu M A
Masters in Computer Science
IIT Kanpur

Jaseem Abid

Jan 9, 2014, 8:28:43 AM1/9/14
On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Praveen A <pra...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think we should get Niyam again this time.

I would like to express my negative vote.

I attended his keynote and as far as I remember (its been a few years now), its was almost worthless. He talked a lot about his awards etc, showed a bunch of bookmarks and some design principles, which were moonshots.

I would like to hear from others who attended that talk.

[...]
I was discussing with Niyam and we think we should have privacy as the
theme for this years event.

+1. Good of we can focus on surveillance in India, rather than talk about NSA again. I'm already bored, HN is flooded with NSA now.

--
Regards,

Jaseem Abid
github.com/jaseemabid

Kartik Singhal

Jan 9, 2014, 10:04:53 AM1/9/14
to FOSSCell, fossmeetnitc
On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Praveen A <pra...@gmail.com> wrote:
Another suggestion is to call Savitri Singh and we can get IT@ School
and teachers involved in FOSS Meet. She is a pioneer in Open Education
Resources and Creative Commons.

Have talked to her on email earlier. She is coincidentally the principal of the college where my siblings did their bachelors. Was great to know from them how she kept FOSS related things going on in the campus. Python was part of curriculum.

Should be a good addition in the speaker line up to share her experience from academia and open education initiatives.

--
Kartik
http://k4rtik.wordpress.com/