Fossmeet'16 website is UP :)

Peeyush Singh

Nov 18, 2015, 8:17:55 AM11/18/15
to FOSSMeet at NITC
Please suggest improvements.
http://fossmeet.in/
:)

Pranav Ashok

Nov 18, 2015, 9:37:44 AM11/18/15
to fossme...@googlegroups.com
This is a surprise! Good job on coming up with a website this early on :) I didn't even know there was a FOSSMeet happening. On first look, everything is quite nice and smooth. I have tried to go through what is there in the page is a very critical manner. Take or ignore the points however you want. Some comments may appear to be personal, that's just because I am used to reviewing things for myself.

Just jotting down some stuff in no particular order.

- The first question which came to my mind - when? - was unanswered after going through the site. Perhaps make sure that it's a very easily spotted. (Later I found the dates in Call for Proposals).
- I personally don't like the outline that are coming around the links at the top (the outline:none property should fix it).
- Do we have an archive of the previous FOSSMeet websites?
- Static NITC front gate background got a little boring. Maybe because I am used to seeing such pictures. Why not have images which keep changing (of previous events perhaps? Of stuff which gives a FOSSMeet flavour, if any)? Be careful not to make the website too heavy because of this though.

Scrolling down
- 'What?' just doesn't seem appropriate. Maybe its a little too short for my liking.
- Correct Pre FOSS Meet '16 to Pre-FOSSMeet Events? I find it weird when FOSSMeet is written as FOSS Meet. Use space before you open parenthesis. ... FLOSS( ...
- In the below quoted paragraph, there is a claim that 'The quality apps produced ... outstanding example ... world-class open source products'. Is this a random hyperbole or can it be substantiated? If it can be substantialted, let the viewer see the evidence (link of the hackathon page or something)?
The 24-hour OS hackathon was conducted on September 19th, 2015 to mark the Software Freedom Day. The quality apps produced at the end of the hackathon is an outstanding example of how collaboration can lead to world-class open source products.
- Also it should be 'A 24-hour OS hackathon ...'
- What to expect? The write-up is fine, but it will be nice to see what happened in the previous FOSSMeets and let the user get a real feel of what to expect.

Scrolling down
- Previous events - just photos will not do. If you are not able to write things about the previous FOSSMeets or unable to get the previous websites up, atleast add some variety photos. Not just of people sitting in lab (I liked the last three or four images of the carousel). And this carousel looks bad when viewed from a mobile.

Scrolling down
- Previous speakers - I was hoping to click and read more about them - maybe just a small overlay box. While some takes the visitor to the person's homepage, clicking on the others don't do anything.

Scrolling down
- Lets get in touch looks messy. First of all, the alignment doesn't look too nice for the eye. Secondly, I had to inspect element to find out that there are phone numbers and emails hidden in there. Please make it a little more obvious. I hope everyone there have connected their fossmeet ids to their primary email. Every year, I have seen people just not visiting their mail and missing out on giving timely replies.

Hope this helps!

Perhaps, if you could make the website itself open source, we could help out faster. Need other's opinion on this. I don't know how to judge the risks, if any.

Cheers!

More details at fossmeet.in
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "FOSSMeet at NITC" group.

Pranav Ashok
MSc Computer Science
Chennai Mathematical Institute

GTalk: pranavashok | pranavashok.com

Amarnath

Nov 18, 2015, 10:14:45 AM11/18/15
to fossme...@googlegroups.com
It's great to see that FOSSMeet is back for another edition. I already see Pranav has pointed out many of the details missed out.

Few points I would like to point out is:
1. Why FOSS? seems to be not much of relevance for an event of this scale. We know why we are doing it and its been about a decade (or more, is it?) that we holding FOSSMeet.
2. Add relevant details, like what to expect out of the event.
3. Listen to Pranav's comments. They are worth a ton.

And you guys are doing a wonderful job. Keep doing. :-)
അമര്‍നാഥ്
V A Amarnath

Bobinson K B

Nov 18, 2015, 11:05:51 AM11/18/15
to fossme...@googlegroups.com
Awesome work folks !

Thanks and Regards,
Bobinson K.B
Chief Executive Officer
www.linkedin.com/in/bobinson

Shrimadhav U K

Nov 19, 2015, 6:34:40 AM11/19/15
to FOSSMeet at NITC
Thank you chetta for such a very good critical feedback.
Solved some of the issues, but still this is just the marketing website used to attract sponsors and speakers.
The main website will be up after end sem exams. ;)

An archive of the previous year sites is available at https://bitbucket.org/fosscell/
[...]

Solved these issues, but . . .
- What to expect? The write-up is fine, but it will be nice to see what happened in the previous FOSSMeets and let the user get a real feel of what to expect.

Scrolling down
- Previous events - just photos will not do. If you are not able to write things about the previous FOSSMeets or unable to get the previous websites up, atleast add some variety photos. Not just of people sitting in lab (I liked the last three or four images of the carousel). And this carousel looks bad when viewed from a mobile.

Can we get some photos of the fossmeet organised before 2013 ? We do not have any photos of that. :(

More details at fossmeet.in
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "FOSSMeet at NITC" group.

Pranav Ashok
MSc Computer Science
Chennai Mathematical Institute

GTalk: pranavashok | pranavashok.com