Installing sTeam

Aruna Herath

Mar 6, 2015, 2:00:17 AM3/6/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Potential Gsoc students who are interested in working on a project related to sTeam,
might be interested in running a sTeam server locally.

This is my experience getting one setup in fedora 21.

works well to get dependencies and the source code in.

But the ./build script gave "dereferencing pointer to incomplete type". error
on three lines in xslt.c. 411, 412 and 417

This is because of the mismatch between the versions of libxml2 installed in the machine
and expected by the build script. I think its expecting version 2.8.x and what I had was
2.9.1.

Its possible to install an older version of libxml2, but quick (and dirty) solution would be
patching the those lines,

  change xmlBuf->conv->content   to  xmlBufContent(xmlBuf->conv)

We should probably change the script to check the installed version of libxml2 and to use
the appropriate commands.

then the build script would run and install script will install sTeam.

To start the server cd into /usr/local/lib/steam/ And running ./start works.

If it did not work, if it exits without starting,

/var/log/steam has log files that can be used to troubleshoot.

If you have mysql installed and mysqld is running, and port 80 is not being used
sTeam will start and you can see it running at http://localhost/

If anyone has problems installing it please report them in this thread.

Aruna Herath

Mar 6, 2015, 6:32:40 AM3/6/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
sTeam installs in ubuntu 14.04 as well.

I faced a problem where the build script could not find the pike installation.
Pike was installed by the package manager (apt-get). I removed it and installed
from the tar.gz here http://pike.lysator.liu.se/

Then the build script ran fine, exept I had to change above 3 lines in xslt.c.

libxml2 installed by the package manager of ubuntu too was not compatible with xslt.c
However changing those lines allows build script to run successfully.

after starting the server http://localhost would show

Welcome to sTeam

Congratulations, you successfully installed a sTeam server!
To be able to get anything working on this Web Port,
you need to install the web Package.

Now web Package needs to be installed. Instructions about the webinterface in

After downloading the web-2_2_17.spm file, while the steam server is still running,
do.

/usr/local/lib/steam/bin/spm -i web-2_2_17.spm

This will install the webinterface.

Now visit http://localhost and see the sTeam with the webinterface.
The first page load may take some time.

Sachin D

Mar 8, 2015, 5:26:57 AM3/8/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I am still stuck with getting the sTeam server to start. I had also made the same changes, and I could successfully get it to build and install. However , when I try to start in /usr/local/lib/steam , I get this message :

CWD: /usr/local/lib/steam - Starting sTeam Server
Logfile: Stdio.File("/var/log/steam/server.log", "wct", 777 /* fd=11 */)
LogDir:  /var/log/steam
Params:  ({ })
Starting services:  search.pike,  fulltext.pike,  graphic.pike,  tex.pike,  spm.pike,
Returned: -1
sTeam Server Exited !

I even tried running the sTeam daemon itself in init.d , but it similarly exits without actually starting. My /var/log/steam/server.log file is empty. I checked search.pike.log, graphic.pike.log,tex.pike.log,spm.pike.log and they all have the same similar message

[2015-03-08 10:37:18] Starting service "tex.pike" ...
[2015-03-08 10:38:12] Connecting to localhost:1900 ...
[2015-03-08 10:37:29] Trying 127.0.0.1 instead....
3-08 10:37:20] PID: 19998
[2015-03-08 10:37:20] PID: 19993
[2015-03-08 10:38:11] Connecting to localhost:1900 ...

The spm.pike.log message had some invalid characters too,so I checked for fault in spm.pike, but I didn't have any problem with build and install.

I have mysql installed and had started mysqld through 'sudo service mysqld start'. Port 80 is also not being used.

Aruna Herath

Mar 8, 2015, 5:36:12 AM3/8/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com

On 8 Mar 2015 14:56, "Sachin D" <sachinsh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I am still stuck with getting the sTeam server to start. I had also made the same changes, and I could successfully get it to build and install. However , when I try to start in /usr/local/lib/steam , I get this message :
>
> CWD: /usr/local/lib/steam - Starting sTeam Server
> Logfile: Stdio.File("/var/log/steam/server.log", "wct", 777 /* fd=11 */)
> LogDir:  /var/log/steam
> Params:  ({ })
> Starting services:  search.pike,  fulltext.pike,  graphic.pike,  tex.pike,  spm.pike,
> Returned: -1
> sTeam Server Exited !
>
> I even tried running the sTeam daemon itself in init.d , but it similarly exits without actually starting. My /var/log/steam/server.log file is empty.

If an error occurred relevant log should be in the error.log file in the same location. Check files with error.log as a prefix in the name if exist.

I checked search.pike.log, graphic.pike.log,tex.pike.log,spm.pike.log and they all have the same similar message

> [2015-03-08 10:37:18] Starting service "tex.pike" ...
> [2015-03-08 10:38:12] Connecting to localhost:1900 ...
> [2015-03-08 10:37:29] Trying 127.0.0.1 instead....
> 3-08 10:37:20] PID: 19998
> [2015-03-08 10:37:20] PID: 19993
> [2015-03-08 10:38:11] Connecting to localhost:1900 ...
>
> The spm.pike.log message had some invalid characters too,so I checked for fault in spm.pike, but I didn't have any problem with build and install.
>
> I have mysql installed and had started mysqld through 'sudo service mysqld start'. Port 80 is also not being used.

Martin Bähr

Mar 8, 2015, 5:39:43 AM3/8/15
to Sachin D, foss...@googlegroups.com
Excerpts from Sachin D's message of 2015-03-08 10:02:15 +0100:
> I even tried running the sTeam daemon itself in init.d , but it similarly
> exits without actually starting. My /var/log/steam/server.log file is
> empty. I checked search.pike.log,
> graphic.pike.log,tex.pike.log,spm.pike.log and they all have the same
> similar message

anything in start.log or errors.log?

running the command: ps waux | grep pike;
does it return anything?

you are running sTeam as root, right?

greetings, martin.

--
eKita - the online platform for your entire academic life

Martin Bähr

Mar 8, 2015, 6:33:17 AM3/8/15
to Sachin D, foss...@googlegroups.com
Excerpts from Sachin D's message of 2015-03-08 11:21:30 +0100:
> My error.log is empty. However, I have 4 other error.log files(error.log.1-
> error.log.5). They all have -
> */usr/local/pike/7.8.866/lib/modules/Filesystem.pmod/module.pmod.o:-:
> Warning: Decode failed: Error while decoding program:Expected efun
> constant: master()->get_dir
> (function)/usr/local/pike/7.8.866/lib/modules/Filesystem.pmod/System.pike.o:-:
> Warning: Decode failed: Error while decoding program:Expected efun
> constant: master()->get_dir (function)tmp/modules/types.pike:242: Warning:
> Keyword nomask is deprecated in favor for
> 'final'.tmp/net/base/ftp.pike:1662: Warning: In argument 3 to
> pasv_callback: The @-operator argument must be an empty
> array./usr/local/pike/7.8.866/lib/modules/Stdio.pmod/Terminfo.pmod.o:-:
> Warning: Decode failed: Error while decoding program:Expected efun
> constant: master()->get_dir (function)Failed to open SMTP port on 'port 25'
> !group with empty identifier: /kernel/proxy.pike(121/PSTAT_SAVE_OK)*
>
> (I used netstat, and ensured that port 25 is open )

yeah, it failed because it could not load the module needed for it.

> ( I am also now reinstalling pike, just in case. Will post if any change
> occurs.)

good, because it looks like your pike installation is broken.

if the error persists, try removing the .o files it complains about.
the source is still there, and pike will then just compile that at runtime.

one problem may be that precompiling the source during installation failed.

Sachin D

Mar 8, 2015, 7:40:33 AM3/8/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com, sachinsh...@gmail.com, mba...@email.archlab.tuwien.ac.at
My error.log is empty. However, I have 4 other error.log files(error.log.1- error.log.5). They all have -

/usr/local/pike/7.8.866/lib/modules/Filesystem.pmod/module.pmod.o:-: Warning: Decode failed: Error while decoding program:
Expected efun constant: master()->get_dir (function)
/usr/local/pike/7.8.866/lib/modules/Filesystem.pmod/System.pike.o:-: Warning: Decode failed: Error while decoding program:

Expected efun constant: master()->get_dir (function)
tmp/modules/types.pike:242: Warning: Keyword nomask is deprecated in favor for 'final'.
tmp/net/base/ftp.pike:1662: Warning: In argument 3 to pasv_callback: The @-operator argument must be an empty array.
/usr/local/pike/7.8.866/lib/modules/Stdio.pmod/Terminfo.pmod.o:-: Warning: Decode failed: Error while decoding program:

Expected efun constant: master()->get_dir (function)
Failed to open SMTP port on 'port 25' !
group with empty identifier: /kernel/proxy.pike(121/PSTAT_SAVE_OK)

(I used netstat, and ensured that port 25 is open )

I don't have a start.log file, but I have an init.d_start.log file. It has the same message as on ./start(with same message getting appending every try)

CWD: /usr/local/lib/steam - Starting sTeam Server
Logfile: Stdio.File("/var/log/steam/server.log", "wct", 777 /* fd=11 */)
LogDir:  /var/log/steam
Params:  ({ /* 2 elements */
    "--auto-restart",
    "--pid=/var/run/steam.pid"

})
Starting services:  search.pike,  fulltext.pike,  graphic.pike,  tex.pike,  spm.pike,
Returned: -1

ps waux | grep pike; returns only a

 <username>   14298  0.0  0.0 112640   960 pts/0    R+   15:46   0:00 grep --color=auto pike

( I am also now reinstalling pike, just in case. Will post if any change occurs.)

And I am running sTeam on root.

Sachin D

Mar 8, 2015, 11:34:30 AM3/8/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com, sachinsh...@gmail.com, mba...@email.archlab.tuwien.ac.at
I reinstalled Pike, and then later even tried pike with an older version(v7.8.700) but I was still getting the same errors. So I removed the .o files. Most of the errors vanished, but there is still

Failed to open SMTP port on 'port 25' !
group with empty identifier: /kernel/proxy.pike(121/PSTAT_SAVE_OK)

Additionally, the error log now also has :

icons module: could not initialize icon '/images/doctypes/type_date.gif'
(I got this error for all images in doctypes/).

I tried to make some temporary changes in the smtp.pike and database files, for smtp default port.(changed to port 27) I also temporarily changed the mIcons mapping in several places to disinclude those icons. After that, most of the errors vanished, but still has

sTeam 2.9.5 running on Pike v7.8 release 700
Startup on Sun Mar  8 20:29:45 2015
tmp/libraries/httplib.pmod:699: Warning: Calling a deprecated value.
tmp/libraries/httplib.pmod:699: Warning: Using deprecated string value.
tmp/libraries/httplib.pmod:699: Warning: Using deprecated string value.

tmp/net/base/ftp.pike:1662: Warning: In argument 3 to pasv_callback: The @-operator argument must be an empty array.
group with empty identifier: /kernel/proxy.pike(121/PSTAT_SAVE_OK)

And it's still returning -1.

Martin Bähr

Mar 8, 2015, 10:15:41 PM3/8/15
to Sachin D, foss...@googlegroups.com
Excerpts from Sachin D's message of 2015-03-08 16:24:20 +0100:
> I reinstalled Pike, and then later even tried pike with an older
> version(v7.8.700) but I was still getting the same errors. So I removed the
> .o files. Most of the errors vanished, but there is still
>
> *Failed to open SMTP port on 'port 25'

are you sure there is nothing already using port 25?
telnet localhost 25; or
lsof -i :25;

if there is something else running you may ignore that error or disable port 25
in the config in /etc/steam/

if there is nothing running it would be an indicator of something else broken.

> !group with empty identifier:
> /kernel/proxy.pike(121/PSTAT_SAVE_OK)*Additionally, the error log now also
> has :
> *icons module: could not initialize icon '/images/doctypes/type_date.gif'*
> (I got this error for all images in doctypes/).

> I tried to make some temporary changes in the smtp.pike and database files,
> for smtp default port.(changed to port 27) I also temporarily changed the
> mIcons mapping in several places to disinclude those icons. After that,
> most of the errors vanished, but still has
>
> sTeam 2.9.5 running on Pike v7.8 release 700
> Startup on Sun Mar 8 20:29:45 2015
> tmp/libraries/httplib.pmod:699: Warning: Calling a deprecated value.
> tmp/libraries/httplib.pmod:699: Warning: Using deprecated string value.
> tmp/libraries/httplib.pmod:699: Warning: Using deprecated string value.
> tmp/net/base/ftp.pike:1662: Warning: In argument 3 to pasv_callback: The
> @-operator argument must be an empty array.
> group with empty identifier: /kernel/proxy.pike(121/PSTAT_SAVE_OK)
>
> And it's still returning -1.

did you reset the database after reinstalling pike? if not, restore the icon
changes and drop the database before trying again.

Manav Kedia

Mar 12, 2015, 1:28:40 PM3/12/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I successfully built and installed sTeam. However, when I run the last step

install the webinterface with the spm tool:
  /usr/local/lib/steam/bin/spm -i web-2_2_17.spm

I entered the password for the server as steam. I get the following error:
Opening spm archive ...ok.
Connecting sTeam on localhost:1900
Root Password for server [steam]: *****
Connecting to sTeam server...
Failed to connect... still trying ... (server running ?)
Failed to connect... still trying ... (server running ?)
Failed to connect... still trying ... (server running ?)

Please help me how to proceed from here.

Aruna Herath

Mar 12, 2015, 1:37:06 PM3/12/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com

You have to do that while sTeam is running. So start sTeam, keep it running, on different terminal window run spm.

Martin Bähr

Mar 12, 2015, 1:37:23 PM3/12/15
to Manav Kedia, foss...@googlegroups.com
Excerpts from Manav Kedia's message of 2015-03-12 17:31:04 +0100:
> : http://societyserver.org/how-to-install-sTeam---quick-notes
> I successfully built and installed sTeam. However, when I run the last step
> install the webinterface with the spm tool:
> /usr/local/lib/steam/bin/spm -i web-2_2_17.spm
> I entered the password for the server as steam. I get the following error:
> Opening spm archive ...ok.
> Connecting sTeam on localhost:1900
> Root Password for server [steam]: *****
> Connecting to sTeam server...
> Failed to connect... still trying ... (server running ?)

oh, i realized the instructions are missing a critical step:
before installing the webinterface, the sTeam server needs to be running.

/usr/local/lib/steam/start

Manav Kedia

Mar 12, 2015, 5:21:23 PM3/12/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com, manavke...@gmail.com, mba...@email.archlab.tuwien.ac.at
Hi,

Thanks for replying so fast. So, I first started the server and the browser showed

Welcome to sTeam

Congratulations, you successfully installed a sTeam server!
To be able to get anything working on this Web Port,
you need to install the web Package.

Then I installed the web interface, and the refreshed localhost and the server exits with "returned -1". I checked the logs. First, it was showing that mysql 5.5 does not support FULLTEXT values, so I updated mysql to 5.6.
But, still the server keeps exiting whenever I refresh localhost. I'm including the server.log.1 file, errors.log.1 file and the fulltext.pike.log file. The others log files seemed okay.
Please tell me how do I solve this problem.

Thanking you,
Manav Kedia
server.log.1
fulltext.pike.log

Markus Ortel

Mar 13, 2015, 6:26:20 PM3/13/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Arunia,

i try to install sTeam on Ubuntu server 14.10.

Did you have an error like this?

make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/sTeam/sources/libxslt'
gcc -g -O2 -fPIC -fno-stack-protector -O3 -I -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include -Wno-sign-compare   -c -o xslt.o xslt.c
xslt.c:22:30: fatal error: libxml/xmlmemory.h: No such file or directory
 #include <libxml/xmlmemory.h>
                              ^
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [xslt.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/sTeam/sources/libxslt'
make[1]: *** [libxslt] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/sTeam/sources'
make: *** [sources] Error 2

Best,
Markus

Milan Karunarathne

Mar 13, 2015, 6:47:16 PM3/13/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Hi :

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 and I did all the steps successfully up to ./install step in societyserver.org/how-to-install-sTeam---quick-notes.

In ./install step, it says that

Installing generic LSB startup file: /etc/init.d/steam
Failed to connect to database:
1) Make sure mysql is running.
2) Is a root pw for mysql set? Use --rootpw=pw to login.
Installation finished successfully...

Then running server with /usr/local/lib/steam/start gave;

CWD: /usr/local/lib/steam - Starting sTeam Server
Logfile: Stdio.File("/var/log/steam/server.log", "wct", 777 /* fd=11 */)
LogDir:  /var/log/steam
Params:  ({ })
Starting services:  tex.pike,  search.pike,  spm.pike,  fulltext.pike,  graphic.pike,
Returned: 10
sTeam Server Exited !

The error log says /var/log/steam/errors.log.1 http://pastebin.com/sk3xQWzb

Can you help me to get through this issue ?

Trilok Tourani

Mar 14, 2015, 1:56:32 AM3/14/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Hello milan,
You haven't started your sql server probably. You need to create a user in mysql with a password. And then go to the install file and replace "./setup" with "./setup --user='youruser' --password='yourpwd_for_user' --rootpw='your_root_passwd'.
I hope this solves it.

Regards,
Trilok Tourani

Manav Kedia

Mar 14, 2015, 2:54:06 AM3/14/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com, manavke...@gmail.com, mba...@email.archlab.tuwien.ac.at
I think I might have forgotten to attach the events.log.1 file.

Martin Bähr

Mar 14, 2015, 7:41:14 AM3/14/15
to Sachin D, foss...@googlegroups.com
Excerpts from Sachin D's message of 2015-03-14 12:28:36 +0100:
> > are you sure there is nothing already using port 25?
> > telnet localhost 25; or
> > lsof -i :25;
> > if there is nothing running it would be an indicator of something else
> > broken.
> Yes. Nothing was running on it, but still I was getting the error. I later
> came to know that my ISP(bsnl) has blocked that port(apparently to prevent
> spamming). I disabled the port, like you said, and that error vanished.

the isp blocking the port will not cause such an error.
i still think something is running. did you try the commands above?

(anyways, it's not important, smtp is not needed for the project, so disabling
the port works just as well.)

Sachin D

Mar 14, 2015, 8:49:33 AM3/14/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com, sachinsh...@gmail.com, mba...@email.archlab.tuwien.ac.at

the isp blocking the port will not cause such an error.
i still think something is running. did you try the commands above?

Yes, (before starting the server)I tried 'telnet localhost 25;' and I got connected; and lsof -i :25; returned nothing.

Sachin D

Mar 14, 2015, 8:49:33 AM3/14/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com, sachinsh...@gmail.com, mba...@email.archlab.tuwien.ac.at
I apologize for updating so late. I had major problems with my laptop and hence had to re install my Operating System. I have now successfully installed sTeam with the Web Interface.

are you sure there is nothing already using port 25?
telnet localhost 25; or
lsof -i :25;

if there is something else running you may ignore that error or disable port 25
in the config in /etc/steam/

if there is nothing running it would be an indicator of something else broken.

Yes. Nothing was running on it, but still I was getting the error. I later came to know that my ISP(bsnl) has blocked that port(apparently to prevent spamming). I disabled the port, like you said, and that error vanished.

did you reset the database after reinstalling pike? if not, restore the icon
changes and drop the database before trying again.

Yes, again that was the problem. When it failed, I had tried multiple times and hence eventually the icon module error popped up. I made sure to drop the db and then rebuild before i start again, which solved even that problem.

The error.log.1 after that didn't have anything except for warning. However, it was still returning -1. I checked my server.log.1 file and fulltext.pike.log , and it is the same as Manav Kedia (Last log being that of chroot environment). I even 'yum' installed pstotext and html2text.

I faced these problems in centOS 7.(Before I reinstalled OS) I did the same thing in centOS 6.6, and it works fine. Even the webInterface installation was succesful. But the oddest thing is , I have all the errors,that I placed before in the logs , present here too! However, It still works!!  (I am now trying installation in Ubuntu 14.04, and will post if I get a installation success, here.)

Thank you.

With Regards,
Sachin D

Milan Karunarathne

Mar 15, 2015, 3:35:15 AM3/15/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trilok:

I tested whether mysql server is running by using (I think it's running);
$ ps aux | grep mysql
mysql     1042  0.0  0.6 550088 24568 ?        Ssl  මාර්14   0:12 /usr/sbin/mysqld
   and
$ sudo service mysql status
mysql start/running, process 1042

Then created a mysql user also;
mysql> CREATE USER 'steam'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'steam';

Then ran, ./setup with;
$ ./setup --rootpw='rootpassword'  --user='steam' --password='steam'

But it gave the same error.
Failed to connect to database:
1) Make sure mysql is running.
2) Is a root pw for mysql set? Use --rootpw=pw to login.

Can you guess, what is going wrong here?

P.S.:
I'll dig into the setup script and try to understand what is happening there as well.

Milan Karunarathne

Mar 15, 2015, 9:31:44 AM3/15/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin, Aruna:

On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 4:17:16 AM UTC+5:30, Milan Karunarathne wrote:
Hi :

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 and I did all the steps successfully up to ./install step in societyserver.org/how-to-install-sTeam---quick-notes.

In ./install step, it says that

Installing generic LSB startup file: /etc/init.d/steam
Failed to connect to database:
1) Make sure mysql is running.
2) Is a root pw for mysql set? Use --rootpw=pw to login.
Installation finished successfully...

I hacked into the ./setup file. I though that it need better error handling for below line [0] [1]:
if ( catch(handle = Sql.Sql("mysql://root:"+conf->rootpw+"@localhost/mysql")) )
{

// -- code
}

Then I change it as;
mixed err_result = catch {
      handle
= Sql.Sql("mysql://root:"+conf->rootpw+"@localhost/mysql")

};

if(err_result == 0) {
      write
("Everything was ok.\n");

}

else {
      werror
("Failed to connect to database: error > " + err_result + "\n"+

"1) Make sure mysql is running.\n"+

"2) Is a root pw for mysql set? Use --rootpw=pw to login.\n");

}

Then according to the error description there, I found that I have to install mysql-dev libraries before "make" Pike [2]. In Ubuntu, libmysqlclient-dev would be the developer library [3]. Then I got the problem solved.

After I installed the web interface also, when I tried to login to the server, it exit with;
Returned: -1
sTeam Server Exited !

Trilok Tourani

Mar 16, 2015, 12:23:56 PM3/16/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Hello milan,
What mysql version are you using other than the libmysqlclient-dev?

I am facing the same error.

Regards,
Trilok Tourani

Trilok Tourani

Mar 16, 2015, 9:12:07 PM3/16/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
To get rid of this error, follow the steps,
1.)Uninstall Pike (rm -rf /usr/local/pike or sudo apt-get remove pike-? based on your version)
2.)Uninstall mysql(completely) --
sudo service mysql stop  #or mysqld
sudo killall -9 mysql
sudo killall -9 mysqld
sudo apt-get remove --purge mysql-server mysql-client mysql-common
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo deluser mysql
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/mysql
sudo apt-get purge mysql-server-core-5.5
sudo apt-get purge mysql-client-core-5.5
(again, depending on your mysql version)

3.)Install mysql
            sudo apt-get install libmysqlclient-dev mysql-client mysql-server mysql-common
(the package names must be a bit wrong maybe, but mostly not)

4.)Install pike( I used latest version v7.8.8666)

Hope this solves it. This is for Ubuntu 14.04 (Will work with other ubuntu versions as well)

Regards,
Trilok Tourani

Trilok Tourani

Mar 16, 2015, 9:12:30 PM3/16/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Also, The returned -1 means that the process was killed by some signal. Look for signals in loader.pike and check.

Regards,
Trilok Tourani

Milan Karunarathne

Mar 17, 2015, 3:54:50 AM3/17/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trilok:

Sorry for replying late.

On Monday, March 16, 2015 at 9:53:56 PM UTC+5:30, Trilok Tourani wrote:
Hello milan,
What mysql version are you using other than the libmysqlclient-dev?

  I only installed libmysqlclient-dev. You have to install it before "make" Pike. If you still have your build tree you can look at build/*/config.info
to get an overview of which dependencies failed.

After you installed libmysqlclient-dev, extract a new copy of Pike. Then make, make install (Or make clean, make, make install may be work on previous build).

Milan Karunarathne

Mar 17, 2015, 3:54:50 AM3/17/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trilok:

On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 6:42:30 AM UTC+5:30, Trilok Tourani wrote:
Also, The returned -1 means that the process was killed by some signal. Look for signals in loader.pike and check.

  It works for me up to "/usr/local/lib/steam/start" (in societyserver.org/how-to-install-sTeam---quick-notes) correctly. Then after installing web interface, server got crashed when make a http request form web browser. I can't find useful detail in log files to overcome it.

  sudo /usr/local/lib/steam/bin/spm -i web-2_2_17.spm -f (for force install web insterface)

Here is the all logs for server failure (see the attachment)
steam-logs.txt

Chris Angelico

Mar 17, 2015, 4:03:07 AM3/17/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 4:54 PM, Milan Karunarathne
<mhkarun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After you installed libmysqlclient-dev, extract a new copy of Pike. Then
> make, make install (Or make clean, make, make install may be work on
> previous build).

Or save yourself some trouble: 'make reconfigure' will re-check dependencies.

ChrisA

parbhat puri

Mar 17, 2015, 8:31:41 PM3/17/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have followed all the steps and installed sTeam Successfully on Fedora 21. The web Interface is also installed with spm tool. But when I try to open http://localhost/ with steam server running, the sTeam server Exited and Returned -1. The error.log.1 shows -

Failed to hook xml content: Access denied for user /kernel/proxy.pike(88/PSTAT_SAVE_OK)(/kernel/proxy.pike(88/PSTAT_SAVE_OK)) accessing /kernel/proxy.pike(872/PSTAT_SAVE_PENDING) using 8 called by accessibility.xsl(#358,/classes/DocXSL,8388625,text/xsl)
No WRITE access on "358.pike" for /kernel/proxy.pike(88/PSTAT_SAVE_OK) (0)

I am attaching screenshots, error.log and server.log files. Please help to resolve this error.

With Regards,
Parbhat Puri
https://parbhatpuri.com
errors.log.1
server.log.1
sTeam.png
web-interface.png

Martin Bähr

Mar 19, 2015, 5:06:40 AM3/19/15
to parbhat puri, foss...@googlegroups.com
Excerpts from parbhat puri's message of 2015-03-17 15:55:27 +0100:
> I have followed all the steps and installed sTeam Successfully on Fedora
> 21. The web Interface is also installed with spm tool. But when I try to
> open http://localhost/ with steam server running, the sTeam server Exited
> and Returned -1. The error.log.1 shows -
>
> Failed to hook xml content: Access denied for user
> /kernel/proxy.pike(88/PSTAT_SAVE_OK)(/kernel/proxy.pike(88/PSTAT_SAVE_OK))
> accessing /kernel/proxy.pike(872/PSTAT_SAVE_PENDING) using 8 called by
> accessibility.xsl(#358,/classes/DocXSL,8388625,text/xsl)
> No WRITE access on "358.pike" for /kernel/proxy.pike(88/PSTAT_SAVE_OK) (0)

strange error.
does steam have write permissions on the database?
does the error go away if you restart sTeam?

if not, try to dump the database and reinstall sTeam and the webinterface.

Miller Alexander

Apr 1, 2015, 6:17:45 AM4/1/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aruna,
i'm Miller from University off Jaffna ,Sri Lanka

i submit my proposal on

create a weblog frontend for the sTeam collaboration platform

this is my proposal url

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/public/google/gsoc2015/miller/5741031244955648

please go through it .

and i try to install sTeam locally . [i'm running on ubuntu 14.04.1]

and i fond some problems with installing pike 7.8

i had a configuration error in the end

'''

configure: error: Cannot compile --with-bignums without the GMP library
It is highly recommended that you install a working GMP
library on your system as that will add features to Pike
required by many applications.  (Such as Roxen) However,
if you know that you do not need GMP, you may re-run configure
with the option --without-bignums instead.

configure: error: /bin/bash '/home/miller/Pike/src/modules/Gmp/configure' failed for Gmp
configure: error: /bin/sh '/home/miller/Pike/src/modules/configure' failed for modules
make[1]: *** [configure] Error 1
make: *** [install] Error 2
'''

i tried many solutions form the web ,but no much use . can you help me out with the problem??

regards

Aruna Herath

Apr 1, 2015, 9:44:37 PM4/1/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com

On 1 Apr 2015 15:47, "Miller Alexander" <mille...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Aruna,
> i'm Miller from University off Jaffna ,Sri Lanka
>
> i submit my proposal on
> create a weblog frontend for the sTeam collaboration platform
>

> this is my proposal url
>
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/public/google/gsoc2015/miller/5741031244955648
>
> please go through it .
>
> and i try to install sTeam locally . [i'm running on ubuntu 14.04.1]
>
> and i fond some problems with installing pike 7.8
>
> i had a configuration error in the end
>
> '''
>
> configure: error: Cannot compile --with-bignums without the GMP library
> It is highly recommended that you install a working GMP

Have you tried installing GMP. https://gmplib.org

Martin Bähr

Apr 1, 2015, 9:54:01 PM4/1/15
to Miller Alexander, foss...@googlegroups.com
Excerpts from Miller Alexander's message of 2015-04-01 12:02:22 +0200:
> and i try to install sTeam locally . [i'm running on ubuntu 14.04.1]
> and i fond some problems with installing pike 7.8
> i had a configuration error in the end
> configure: error: Cannot compile --with-bignums without the GMP library

you need to install libgmp-dev

Miller Alexander

Apr 2, 2015, 2:03:29 AM4/2/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com, mille...@gmail.com
thanks Martin and Aruna ,
its worked .
i just installed pike .
now i found problems with installing sTeam ,
,,,
root@miller-pc:/usr/local/lib/steam/bin# spm -i web-2_2_17.spm
No command 'spm' found, but there are 24 similar ones
spm: command not found

,,,

what might be the problem ??

Miller Alexander

Apr 2, 2015, 2:15:10 AM4/2/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
hi aruna ,
i installed pike ,and now
'''
root@miller-pc:/usr/local/lib/steam/bin#  /usr/local/lib/steam/bin/spm -i web-2_2_17.spm
BACKUP : 2015 අප්‍රියෙල් 2 වැනි බ්‍රහස්පතින්දා 11:28:24 +0530
Files will be put in : ~root/steam_2015-04-02
*** Backing up sTeam 'steam' : 2015 අප්‍රියෙල් 2 වැනි බ්‍රහස්පතින්දා 11:28:24 +0530 ***
*** Backing up MySQL database : 2015 අප්‍රියෙල් 2 වැනි බ්‍රහස්පතින්දා 11:28:24 +0530 ***
mysqldump: Got error: 1045: Access denied for user 'steam'@'localhost' (using password: YES) when trying to connect
mysqldump: Got error: 1045: Access denied for user 'steam'@'localhost' (using password: YES) when trying to connect
*** Finished : 2015 අප්‍රියෙල් 2 වැනි බ්‍රහස්පතින්දා 11:28:24 +0530 ***
* Backup size is 240K
'''
actually by mistakenly i didn't gave the password as 'steam'. so where do i change it ??
* well i try to change the password manually from the setup file . but its remain with the same error...

Miller Alexander

Apr 2, 2015, 2:15:10 AM4/2/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com, manavke...@gmail.com, mba...@email.archlab.tuwien.ac.at
thanks a lot Martin ,
its worked ..
cool now i'm running sTeam..;)
 thanks again

Martin Bähr

Apr 2, 2015, 2:19:14 AM4/2/15
to Miller Alexander, foss...@googlegroups.com
Excerpts from Miller Alexander's message of 2015-04-02 07:47:20 +0200:
> thanks Martin and Aruna ,
> its worked .
> i just installed pike .
> now i found problems with installing sTeam ,
> root@miller-pc:/usr/local/lib/steam/bin# spm -i web-2_2_17.spm
> No command 'spm' found, but there are 24 similar ones
> spm: command not found
> what might be the problem ??

you need more practice using the commandline :-)
http://askubuntu.com/questions/320632/why-do-i-need-to-type-before-executing-a-program-in-the-current-directory

we should take project discussions off this mailinglist.
please find us on irc, or on melange.

Miller Alexander

Apr 2, 2015, 2:26:54 AM4/2/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com, Miller Alexander
Thanks Aruna ,
Martin just help me out with my careless mistake ...
 now its working ..
thank you both of you .

regards
miller
361.gif

Chanaka de silva

Apr 21, 2015, 3:09:46 AM4/21/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com

when I am going to start sTeam,,, there's the following error.. plz help me

CWD: /usr/local/lib/steam - Starting sTeam Server
Logfile: Stdio.File("/var/log/steam/server.log", "wct", 777 /* fd=11 */)
LogDir:  /var/log/steam
Params:  ({ })
Starting services:  tex.pike,  graphic.pike,  fulltext.pike,  search.pike,  spm.pike,
Returned: 10
sTeam Server Exited !

Trilok Tourani

Apr 21, 2015, 5:38:26 AM4/21/15
to foss...@googlegroups.com
Hello Chanaka,

Can you please go to you /var/log/steam/ directory, and attach the files here(error.log and mention any other files which are there)

Regards
Trilok Tourani