Welcome & Introductions to the Discussion list for Foss4gNA-2016

Sarah Cordivano

Nov 14, 2015, 1:25:28 PM11/14/15
to foss4gna2016-discuss
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to kick off this list with a welcome message and introductions.  I'm Sarah, I work at software company, Azavea, in Philadelphia. I'm the founder and organizer of GeoPhilly (Philadelphia's Geo Meetup) and I'm passionate about building a more inclusive geo community.

This list is a great opportunity for public discussion about Foss4gNA-2016 in Raleigh. Please feel free to use this list for all committee and non-committee public discussion about the conference.

This might include:

discussion / ideas about outreach for the event
questions about CfP submission
general planning discussion
discussion / ideas about scholarships
ideas / discussions for local tie-in activities
local feedback and tips
any other public discussion related to the event

Looking forward to a great discussion and a great event.

Sarah Cordivano
@mapadelphia

chris...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2015, 10:48:59 AM11/17/15
to foss4gna2016-discuss

Hi Sarah,

I wanted to introduce myself.  I am one of the captains of Code for Raleigh, a Code for America brigade, and we want to help.  There are two others in the Raleigh-Durham area as well, Code for Cary and Code for Durham.  I've been in contact with Andrea Ross and we passed out flyers for the vent at All Things Open an open source conference here last month with about 1700 people.

Additionally, I am in the Data Analytics at Wake Technical College and there is probably some synergy we can engage there.

Chris

Rob Emanuele

Nov 17, 2015, 7:12:17 PM11/17/15
to chris...@gmail.com, foss4gna2016-discuss
Hey Everyone! For those of you who don't know me, I'm Rob, this year's Program Chair. I'm working on the GeoTrellis project at Azavea in Philadelphia, and was the Program Chair at last year's FOSS4G NA. I hope to take what I learned from last year and use it to do an even better job this year. I'm really excited to work with everyone on creating the best program that we can, because at the core of a great conference is a great program.

If anyone on or off the committee has any ideas about the program, bring it up here! The more people that get engaged in shaping how the program will look, the more diverse and representative of the community it will be. So please, post your ideas about what you'd like the program to look like, and ideas about how to get the most quality, most quantity, and most diversity into our pool of proposal submissions.

Best,
Rob

Patrick Cozzi

Nov 18, 2015, 11:06:02 AM11/18/15
to Rob Emanuele, chris...@gmail.com, foss4gna2016-discuss
Hi all,

I'm Patrick.  I work with the Cesium team at AGI and am thrilled to be on the FOSS4G NA committee this year.  I've gained so much from FOSS4G conferences, and am looking forward to another great conference.

Patrick