Ubuntu 11.10

Shikhar Mishra

Oct 3, 2011, 7:09:51 AM10/3/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Ubuntu 11.10 is releasing on 13th october......I m using 10.10 coz i didn't like 11.04 so uninstalled 11.04........Should i upgrade to 11.10 or keep using 10.10???

Atul Aggarwal

Oct 3, 2011, 7:24:13 AM10/3/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
If you didn't liked the unity interface, it can be switched off to classic one at the start of ubuntu. Maybe you should try the 11.10 in a VM before upgrading.

-atul

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Shikhar Mishra <shikhar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ubuntu 11.10 is releasing on 13th october......I m using 10.10 coz i didn't like 11.04 so uninstalled 11.04........Should i upgrade to 11.10 or keep using 10.10???

Regards,

Atul Aggarwal

Shikhar Mishra

Oct 3, 2011, 7:35:36 AM10/3/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, Thanks.......In unity interface my real problem was softwares (Like guake, ipmessenger) was not minimised to system tray and i cant use ipmessenger like software due to this prob.........But classic mode solved my problem......

Rohit Yadav

Oct 3, 2011, 7:49:49 AM10/3/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Just some free advice: Before I do a fresh install (I prefer fresh installs over upgrades) of Ubuntu, I backup my /etc and /home... and most important of all, do this: dpkg --get-selections > mypkgselections

This file holds info all all the packages that are installed on your system, next time when you do a fresh install, just do a:
sudo su -
apt-get update
dpkg --get-selections < mypkgselections
apt-get -u dselect-upgrade

This way you don't need to use the big apt-get line, which is a lazy hack; this one is just part of what I used to backup:
sudo apt-get install vim git cmake guake gimp inkscape eiskaltdcpp midori vuze wireshark geany giggle qtcreator qt4-dev-tools vlc libvlc-dev chmsee gparted openssh-server gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-good ffmpeg gdebi compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-main flashplugin-installer mingw32  build-essential fakeroot genisoimage gettext hgview mercurial nano nasm python-setuptools ipython sun-java6-jdk nsis cmake-curses-gui frei0r-plugins frei0r-plugins-dev dia xchat eclipse byobu alarm-clock alarm-clock-applet  python-qt4 apache2

Cheers.

Rohit Yadav

Oct 3, 2011, 8:00:50 AM10/3/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Err, that was --set-selections:

sudo su -
apt-get update
dpkg --set-selections < mypkgselections
apt-get -u dselect-upgrade

Speaking of backups, backup your important ssh/pgp keys, vim rcs... if anyone uses 'em.

Someone asked me about app development for Ubuntu, well there are several ways... Try zetcode.com
And, also checkout Ubuntu Dev/App Store: http://developer.ubuntu.com/get-started/ It shows you how quickly you can create apps for Ubuntu using python and Gtk. Also, try playing with ssh/pgp keys, and signup a launchpad account which gives you a platform to share your projects (You upload your source to launchpad, it builds the debs and distributes them for you).

Cheers,
Rohit Yadav
PS. Some bragging and cheap publicity :D I maintain some Ubuntu packages for VLMC and my pet projects: https://launchpad.net/~rohityadav/
To install 'em, for ex: VLMC for Ubuntu 10.10+, you do:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rohityadav/vlmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install vlmc
<Next time whenever there is an update, sudo apt-get upgrade will automatically do the magic>