Our own Ubuntu Mirror

Rohit Yadav

Dec 20, 2011, 6:54:28 AM12/20/11
to FOSS@ITBHU
Hey folks!

I'm happy to announce that we've setup an Ubuntu Mirror. This is still
*unofficial* so pl. don't make a news out of it just now; we're
working on it and as a private beta service we invite all students to
start using the mirror server. This is faster than the mirror at IIT-
M. A cron job makes sure it gets updated.

Credits to WMG for allowing both pk and I to use their machines and
network. It's powered by the NKN's 100Mbps fiber optic line and we've
requested RailTel to upgrade the fiber optics connection speed to
1Gbps. The server is located in the ITLIB server room and has 16
cores, 16Gb RAM and lots of disk space, so feel free to demand
mirroring of any other FOSS repo/src/isos etc.

Simply point your sources.list repo url to 10.3.11.250/ubuntu
(internal) 14.139.59.2/ubuntu (external, yes alumni folks can use it
and take pride). NOTE: Since it's on BHU's network so fix your proxy
issues in /etc/apt/apt/conf.

The mirror holds for all possible ubuntu distros/arch (from wart,
hoary to oneiric to 12.04....). The sources.list file should look
*something* like this: (change according to your distro, natty=11.04,
oneiric=11.10)

deb http://10.3.11.250/ubuntu/ natty main universe restricted
multiverse
deb http://10.3.11.250/ubuntu/ natty-security universe main multiverse
restricted
deb http://10.3.11.250/ubuntu/ natty-updates universe main multiverse
restricted

Comments, suggestions welcome.
Cheers,
Rohit

Vidit Sinha

Dec 20, 2011, 6:56:36 AM12/20/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Awesome job guys!
Well, were did the finance come from? :)

Satyendra Singh

Dec 20, 2011, 6:57:53 AM12/20/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com

Awesome :)

Rohit Yadav

Dec 20, 2011, 7:05:28 AM12/20/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
pk and I are now with WMG and working as volunteers; we were amazed to know we had like 40+ dual processor dual-core server plus 150 more coming from NVidia as donation; we have a fat Internet fiber optics pipeline of 100Mbs that was sort of ignored and are trying to make use of that kind of resource... we'll be working on a multicore linux cluster (possibly hadoop) and as a part of our efforts we've our Ubuntu mirror live now.
@Vidit Sinha: The Internet is provided by the NKN (gov/india) and the server room, power/backup provided by WMG/ITLIB/ITBHU.
No promises, more to come, volunteers welcome.

Atul Aggarwal

Dec 20, 2011, 7:06:43 AM12/20/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
No other word other than Awesome :)
Regards,

Atul Aggarwal

Shishir Mittal

Dec 20, 2011, 7:18:19 AM12/20/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Bawaaaaaaal :)
--
Shishir

Satyendra Singh

Dec 21, 2011, 1:34:14 AM12/21/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com

Just changed my sources.list and it works great :)

cod3r

Jan 5, 2012, 2:07:14 AM1/5/12
to FOSS@ITBHU
Hows it going? Whats the bandwidth consumption like? How many people
are getting served?

Post some stats if possible! :)

Let us brag about it wherever and whenever we can :D
> debhttp://10.3.11.250/ubuntu/natty-updates universe main multiverse

Rohit Yadav

Jan 5, 2012, 6:21:49 AM1/5/12
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 12:37 PM, cod3r <pushka...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hows it going? Whats the bandwidth consumption like? How many people
are getting served?

It's a shame not every ubuntu user here is using this service, partly because the network is jammed, even though we've shifted from ITLIB's network to 10.3.11.* (which is the director office).

In case it's not clear, it's a ubuntu archive mirror, you can do a dist upgrades in minutes if network allows; right from 6.04 to 11.10 and supports all the betas and alphas archives of previous and upcoming 12.04.

Bandwidth consumption is not much. Another issue is, when the internal network gets jammed (partly because we're also serving Internet via squid on 10.3.11.250) and the external IP (14.139.59.2) works.

Post some stats if possible! :)

Since 1Jan'12 (last 5 days) we've 439 unique visitors, 759 visitors and total b/w consumption of 820MB.

If you're inside the BHU network, get realtime stats on: http://10.3.11.250/awstats/awstats.pl?config=10.3.11.250
Screenshot attached; list of hostnames: http://pastebin.com/zW6p2T5L

How we automate?
The stats analyzer(awstat), system info/heartbeat, login details and rsync-ing is automated/updated using some cron scripts. They start at around 4:20AM in the morning, some are called on hourly basis and the log is mailed to my email. SSH login is allowed by publickey.

News?
pk is working on an openvpn scheme to allow people to use their itbhu.ac.in login username/password to connect to this VPN and access unrestricted Internet. This service is not intended to encourag torrents/downloaders/Internet surfers, it's mostly for the hacker and developer community who want to use irc, git, smtp/pop, svn, python/ruby/* pkgs etc etc. only possible either via VPN or unrestricted Internet.
We're using Google DATA apis to authenticate. But given the frequent network jams and ignorance (how the hell can two inputs from the warden office into your switch with no iptable rules increase your b/w?) I've low hopes.

Best,
Rohit Yadav
Screenshot-5.png