Wine - exe not executable

Abhijith

Oct 2, 2011, 8:57:51 AM10/2/11
to FOSS@ITBHU
Hi
I installed wine on Ubuntu 11.04. When I try to open any .exe file
using wine it gives error that the file is not marked as executable. I
tried to edit the permissions in its properties but as soon as I check
the "Allow executing file as program" check box it gets unchecked
automatically. Please help me.

Prakhar Jain

Oct 2, 2011, 9:00:30 AM10/2/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
sahi beta ubuntu pura sikh le.. mere ko bhi sikha dena :)

Prakhar Jain
IDD Part II
Computer Science
IT BHU

Atul Aggarwal

Oct 2, 2011, 9:07:45 AM10/2/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Try using 'chmod +x filename' from the terminal and use 'ls -lrt filename' to see the permissions of the file.

ls -lrt gives the permission in the form of -rwxr-xr-x (10 chars).
First char is special char which tell you if the file is directory, symbolic link or character block device.

Next three chars tell the permission of the owner of the file.
Next three chars tell the permission of the group of the file and similarly next three permissions for other users.

In above example, user permissions are rwx (i.e. user can read, write and execute the file)
group permissions are r-x (i.e. group users can read and execute the file but can't modify it)
same is the permissions of the other users.

Let me know if this does not work for you.

If this works, check the syntax of chmod and ls. It will be really helpful in future.

-atul

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Abhijith <abhijit...@gmail.com> wrote:

Regards,

Atul Aggarwal

Rohit Yadav

Oct 2, 2011, 9:31:25 AM10/2/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Abhijith <abhijit...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi
I installed wine on Ubuntu 11.04. When I try to open any .exe file
using wine it gives error that the file is not marked as executable.

Yes that's by default so that your win viruses won't nuke Linux.

I tried to edit the permissions in its properties but as soon as I check
the "Allow executing file as program" check box it gets unchecked
automatically. Please help me.

May be because Gnome s**ks and DBus requests fail many time, so It may be some bug in Ubuntu. It can happen if that executable is on a NTFS partition... they don't have inodes, so the whole permission mech is implemented in VFS, check umask/dmask rules on how you mount your ntfs drive (hint: fstab, google). Most likely, the reason is you don't have ownership over that file (again due to ntfs umask/dmask or otherwise). The chmod +x trick will do :)

If you are trying to run windows games, google for Cedega for Linux (or Cider for Mac), the best way to run any Window app on Linux is to run Windows on Linux via VirtualBox and share folders.

Cheers.

Shikhar Mishra

Oct 3, 2011, 6:59:33 AM10/3/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Try executing exe file using terminal with sudo command and if it is a game run it as -opengl

Abhijith

Oct 5, 2011, 7:54:33 AM10/5/11
to FOSS@ITBHU
Sorry for the late reply.
Thanks. chmod +x trick worked. The ls -lrt gives permissions as -
Also I have Intel HD graphics. Are the graphics drivers automatically
installed (Ubuntu 11.04) or should I install it explicitly?

Rohit Yadav

Oct 5, 2011, 10:15:51 AM10/5/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com

Yes and no, simple answer don't worry you won't need to do anything about it, Intel has integrated 'em with your kernel. (famous Linux hacker Alan Cox works on that among other things: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git;a=search;h=HEAD;s=Alan+Cox;st=author)

Rohit