Tantra: Once again, one more trial, effort

Rohit Yadav

Oct 2, 2010, 7:47:47 PM10/2/10
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks!

If you're into Operating Systems, then this post may interest you.

All right, I'm developing a small OS (source-code < 5K), out of curiosity and for fun and learning and
I've reached the point where you can build a nice ISO and test it with VirtualBox...

[If you're a junior (to me:), and at present in campus, feel free to ping me and visit me.]
(We can talk more about it off this group, as this group is more or less dead anyway...)

Anyway, if you're interested please join Github and we may collaborate using their infrastructure.
Grab the source, or follow this project or download and try it out yourself, from here:
http://github.com/rohityadav/tantra

My system's configuration:
Core i7 930, 4 GB RAM
GNU/Linux 2.6.32-24-generic Ubuntu 10.04 SMP i686.

Evangelize this project, I would be more than happy to make it a collaborative effort.

Best Regards.
PS. You may try the attached ISO file and try it on VirtualBox (preferred) or VMware.
tantra.iso

Rohit Yadav

Dec 12, 2010, 9:33:39 AM12/12/10
to Vivek Narayanan, foss-itbhu
Hey Vivek and others,

Let me share a secret, I don't have any idea either... but I know for sure, reading Tanenbaum or Silberchatz won't help either.
These days I'm just enjoying my holidays, so not much progress from my side; these things needs to be done, in sequence:

0. Get a workable hello world OS.
1. Get a workable libc, implementation on standard C funcs like memcpy, read, write, putc, getc etc...
2. Implementing monitor/screen...
3. Getting GDT, IDT
4. Handling interrupts, IRQ and PIT (timer...)
5. Paging
6. VFS and a simple file system like FAT/ext2
7. Time sharing / multi tasking
8. Userland

I would recommend the enthusiasts to roll up their sleeves, go through these terms, google a lot and skim through the book(s) to get some idea about all the major concepts. PS. Goal 0 is what is tantra at present, 1&2 in progress.

Cheers,
Rohit

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Vivek Narayanan <ma...@vivekn.co.cc> wrote:

Would love to collaborate on this but don't know much about operating
systems . I might get back to this after going through Tanenbaum's
book "Modern Operating Systems" .
>  tantra.iso
> 656KViewDownload

Mohit Srivastava

Dec 12, 2010, 10:13:08 AM12/12/10
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
I think that Schedule will be more helpful for us.

Harshath JR

Dec 14, 2010, 1:37:46 PM12/14/10
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Though i must say: William Stallings is excellent for operating systems.

Mohit Srivastava

Dec 15, 2010, 4:40:38 AM12/15/10
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Bhayya!!
We can try through a Workshop On OS. So that we can share our idea , experience etc.
And may be finally we will get some result :)
--
Mohit

Atul Aggarwal

Dec 18, 2010, 4:45:10 AM12/18/10
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Found something.. I haven't read anything from this book but title seemed relevant and hence sharing it with you.

--
Regards,

Atul Aggarwal

Rohit Yadav

Dec 18, 2010, 5:00:17 AM12/18/10
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone...

I'll be posting my own bookmarks soon... and some progress (not yet commited) on libc, GDT and ISR...
Stay tuned!

Cheers.
Rohit