IDE for python

Srijan Mishra

Mar 20, 2012, 11:17:12 AM3/20/12
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
I use ubuntu and want to know if there is any good IDE for python (or some plugin for eclipse) or using gedit is best.

--
Regards
Srijan Mishra

Vivek N

Mar 20, 2012, 11:51:00 AM3/20/12
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Srijan,

I believe using an IDE gets in the way of doing things (at least for python). Gedit is good, but if you want to get a lot more out of your text editor, look at Sublime Text 2 or Vim. They have a lot of useful shortcuts, custom key bindings, auto-complete, auto-indent etc.

Vivek

Regards
Srijan Mishra

Gaurav Kumar

Mar 20, 2012, 12:04:16 PM3/20/12
to foss-...@googlegroups.com

You can use SublimeCodeIntel package on Sublime Text 2 which supports Code Intelligence for Python among other languages.

Gaurav Kumar
CSE'10

Rohit Yadav

Mar 20, 2012, 3:33:01 PM3/20/12
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
The way for python hackers is to use a combination of ipython, vim (google for the awesome python plugins), bash/zsh and scons/zc.buildout (for build system, for ex. see my project: https://github.com/rohityadav/vmcontroller) Rule of thumb is your tests and building should consume only one step.

Gedit is nice, but once you start using vim and touch type, you'll be more efficient.
Also let me recommend you a book: Expert Python Programming by Tarek Ziade. It may seem hard the first time, eventually you'll appreciate it.

Srijan Mishra

Mar 20, 2012, 4:01:39 PM3/20/12
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all...:)
Srijan Mishra

Satyen

Mar 21, 2012, 12:29:32 PM3/21/12
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Vim is indeed a great tool - not only for Python - but for any kind of programming in general.

However, if you really want a full featured IDE, go for Aptana Studio. It's a great IDE.

If you want something simpler, you can go for Komodo Edit.

It's a pity they dropped Python support in NetBeans 7.0. :-(

Abhijith

Apr 14, 2012, 7:11:16 PM4/14/12
to FOSS@ITBHU
Geany is my favourite. It has a terminal within it so u can test
python within there. If u need a dark theme like sublime instead of
the default white, try the Tango(http://www.barryvan.com.au/2009/01/
geany-ide-tango-dark-colour-scheme/) theme

Rohit Yadav

Apr 14, 2012, 9:18:31 PM4/14/12
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
It's a pile on officially on a dead group! Aah, I'm bored, more than 50% posts on this group must have my email on it, one more should n't cause more pain. So I'm gonna just pile on my great suggestions all over this group, where this thread was implicitly assumed to be closed...

Okay here's how real world programmers use python:
(note they use not because it's cool that way, but gives you speed to test, deploy on the REPL, coolness is a side-effect :)

They use ipython and bpython (try it, it's simply gorgeous and will put whatever you've recommended so far to shame) with screen/tmux and have a scons/zc.buildout build system, a tab that has python.org docs opened, a copy of Mark Lutz classic book. And yes most of them fanboys have inclination to some python goodness that includes django, twisted, tornado and well some cool functional programming tricks, lambdas, map, reduce, filter and whatnot.
And they blog, they tweet, how awesome python is!

While the insane ones use easy_install, the hardcores ones pip install their stuff off cheese shop (now known as pypi, like cpan but for python and you thought google invented marketplace :), and publish on it as well.
And they talk, they tweet, how cool python is!

(I don't why but) Most hardcore python hackers prefer bitbucket or code.google which provides hg/mercurial is their fav vcs (probably because) and most ruby/c/c++ hackers prefer git(hub).
And they talk, they tweet, how freaking python is!

Some are insane enough to use pypy (a freakingly awesome python interpretor written mostly in python, marketed to work better than cpython in some cases) and some have gone beyond that checkpoint and they hack pypy on daily basis. And some simply write C wrappers around C/C++ code to work with python, that's awesome right executing native code withing python.
And they post, they tweet, how python is better than x!

And btw, just a recommendation try any of the popular functional language, common-lisp, clojure, scheme, erlang or may be the pure ones that can run at native speed. Why, because I said so; no, so you can program better templates in C++, trust me bhai sahab knows :P

And yes touch typing helps to write long programs and boringly obnoxious emails. Notice, python programmers tweet alot :D

Pfewwww!
Cheers.