Eclipse Java ee IDE installation

Shivang Mittal

Sep 22, 2011, 9:14:24 AM9/22/11
to foss-itbhu
hiii

i wanted to install Eclipse with java ee support on my ubuntu so i
downloaded the eclipse indigo(3.7) java ee bundeled .tar.gz file(210
MB).
I already had installed eclipse 3.5 using

sudo apt-get install eclipse

but it did not have java ee tools so i wanted latest one with jee.

i read on eclipse.org that you simply need to unzip the package and
run it but it did not work for me.

than one site said to replace the old eclipse's(3.5) files by new(3.7) files.
i did that and still it did not work.

now i cannot run even version 3.5 as i replaced its files.
so i am left with nothing.:(
plz help me.I still have that .tar.gz file.
--
Regards
Shivang

Akash Nawani

Sep 22, 2011, 9:22:11 AM9/22/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Extract you eclipse.tar.gz file again at a different location. You do not need to replace anything. Go inside the newly created eclipse directory and run eclipse.

Cheers,
Aki

Shivang Mittal

Sep 22, 2011, 10:02:45 AM9/22/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
its still not working...
it shows cannot run binary file...

--
Regards
Shivang

Vidit Sinha

Sep 22, 2011, 10:10:13 AM9/22/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
If your ubuntu is 64 bit, try using 64 bit JDK

prashant bhutani

Sep 22, 2011, 10:12:33 AM9/22/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
The problem might be with the file permissions to the bin file.
Check the bin file permission with the command: ls -l | grep (eclipse file name)
The permission should have its 4th bit as 'x' -rwx------ (6 '-' after 'rwx' means that it could be 'r', 'w', 'x' or '-' stating permissions for group and others)
If it is not then turn the executable bit on with command "chmod u+x (eclipse file name)"
now run your bin file.

PS :: You can read more about chmod command and file permissions on http://www.perlfect.com/articles/chmod.shtml

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant Bhutani
Senior Undergraduate
Computer Science & Engineering (B.Tech)
Institute of Technology - BHU (IT-BHU)
Varanasi-221005
Mobile: +91-9721505221

Shivang Mittal

Sep 22, 2011, 10:20:07 AM9/22/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
when i type ls -l | grep eclipse

output shows:
- rwxrwxrwx

i think there is no problem with that.

still when i write
./eclipse

it shows

bash: ./eclipse : cannot run binary file

mahesh gondi

Sep 22, 2011, 10:28:13 AM9/22/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
check if environment variable JAVA_HOME,JDK_HOME,etc.(i set them all) point to the right directory . . .
MaSh

Atul Aggarwal

Sep 22, 2011, 10:30:09 AM9/22/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shivang ,

First of all, I would suggest you to remove the earlier eclipse using apt-get and then extract the download zip in another location and then try.

Moreover check for JAVA_HOME variable and set it accordingly if it is not set.

Keep us informed about the progress so we can suggest accordingly.

-atul
Regards,

Atul Aggarwal

mahesh gondi

Sep 22, 2011, 10:31:03 AM9/22/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
also try
$ uname -i
as Vidit bhaiyya said it might be as issue of JDK mismatch.[http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4898508/bash-eclipse-cannot-execute-binary-file]
--
MaSh

Shivang Mittal

Oct 1, 2011, 1:36:05 AM10/1/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
sorry for not replying that day...
but later i realised that the problem was with 32 bit operating system only...
eclipse i downloaded was for 64 bit system but my os was 32 bit....

hence it was not working...

thanks to you all for the help....

Shikhar Mishra

Oct 3, 2011, 7:16:00 AM10/3/11
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Is der any method i can upgrade from 32 bit ubuntu 10.10 to 64 bit?