An Important Message from our FoSL President Peggy Murrah

Michael Lee

Mar 16, 2023, 7:39:13 AM3/16/23
to fosl...@googlegroups.com

This is an important message from our FoSL President Peggy Murrah:

Dear Members and Friends,

This email is very hard for me to write in many ways, but then again it is a natural progression. I joined the FoSL board at Michael O'Neil's suggestion and nomination in 2002. In 2004, along with my Sierra Leonean family, the Gbories (thank you Meghan for the word) I coordinated the first FoSL annual meeting held in Sierra Leone ever. The UN Peacekeepers were still there and it was a bit scary if we were honest. The American Embassy had a security meeting with only those of us that were US citizens and told us where we should and should not go. The only place in Freetown they warned us about was Kissy. Patsy Spier, Jim Hanson, and I stayed in the middle of Kissy with brother Alfred and sister Isata and their household. The first night our towels were stolen off the veranda. In fairness, Cool Breeze, their dog, barked all night informing us of the attack. At the time, I was too polite to tell him to shut up. I don't think he would have it anyway.

In 2005, at Mike Diliberti's request, I took over the presidency. May Mike rest in eternal perfect peace and that is from someone who is not religious. But if anyone deserves a peaceful eternity, it is Mike Diliberti. If you didn't know him and his wife Wendy, also RPCV SL, that's your loss and I am sorry for you. He was a truly great guy. But, I agreed to take over even though I felt totally inadequate. It worked out OK for the most part although I probably managed to alienate a few people along the way. If someone was looking to further their cause or their organization's cause through our name, without contributing something to SL, with self gain, I hope I did.

Among the accomplishments I am most proud of having been a part of is the part I played in getting the Peace Corps back to Sierra  Leone in 2010. From 2004 on, Judy Figi (may she rest in peace), Daphne Sawyerr-Dunn (may she rest in peace), and I walked the halls of Congress and the DC Peace Corps office constantly. Jim Sheahan had managed in his mysterious way to get a copy of the Peace Corps security report concerning the safety of the PC returning and I had gotten the VSO equivalent, simply by asking which should tell you something about our government's transparency. Then SL Ambassador Stephens and I paid a visit to the Peace Corps headquarters to seal the deal so to speak. There's a touch more to the ending that was a down to the wire deal. Come to our annual meeting in Houston and I'll share it.

Other accomplishments include getting friends to build a school in a tiny remote village that was teaching all grades in a small court Barrie. As a former teacher I will never understand that. Six classrooms, a teachers' room, a latrine, and a well were all completed. However before we provided a school, we sent a man chosen by the village to teacher training college. Then we built a school and provided training for other teachers.

This same village had a truly atrocious road in and out during the rainy season. I've taken a motorcycle to Njala-Komboya so I know a bad road when I see one. This road presented a serious problem for pregnant women and their babies and young children. So, a friend of mine funded an excellent maternity/pediatric clinic that has received the highest facility rating the MOH has. Prior to starting construction, we had an MOU with the MOH that they would staff and support the clinic. They have lived up to their word.

There have been other things I am proud of . Not least of these is being a Carter Center Election Monitor during the 2012 elections. Ask me about if you see me. Right up there has been reconnecting with old PCV buddies and making new ones as well as engaging with some truly inspirational SL diaspora. Learning about mine and Anthony McMillan's commonality in our past was sweet! Certainly engaging with FoSL members around the country and the world has been both humbling and enabling.

Maybe by now you have figured out I am getting around to something. I am. And I could have said it quicker, but I didn't want too. I am stepping down as President of FoSL. It's time. I'm tired. We need new young blood leading us. Those on he board have talked about how to get our younger members involved. In this case, it turned all you had to do was ask them. Michael Lee is who I asked. He is not only young, but his heart is in it. Michael is one of only four young people, young compared to the rest of the board, that stepped up when we sent the call out. And he has been a force! He has been engaged, creative, dependable, and he is a lot of fun to hang out with! He fits right in and is a force to be reckoned with.

I nominated him for a reason. I hope you will join me in voting for him. Thank you for 21 years on the board and president since 2005. It's time for someone else to take the lead, but I will remain on the board. A huge thank you to vice president Aiah Fanday, Treasurer Mark Hager, Secretary Patty Bruzek, Anthony McMillon, and everyone else for your support for the past however many years.

It has been a pleasure and an honor to have been President of FoSL,

Gratefully,

Peggy

David Magnani

Mar 16, 2023, 6:27:11 PM3/16/23
to Michael Lee, fosl...@googlegroups.com
Peggy,

What a loss!!! It has been clear to us all ..for so long… No Peggy, No FOSL! So Michael has big shoes to fill.

But boy have you earned a break!!! It has been an honor to be a member and to know you. Your inviting me to join you and Mohammed Barrie for the President’s visit here in Massachusetts was one of the great honors of my life, along with our return trip to Salone and  to my site at Njala.
Please know that you have earned this break and we all are so much in debt for your extraordinary leadership. Enjoy your break, but don’t go too far.
Best,
Dave Magnani

--
FoSL website: http://fosalone.org

Join FoSL $25 membership: https://fosalone.org/mbrs.php
---

Jeff Hall

Mar 16, 2023, 9:17:56 PM3/16/23
to fosl...@googlegroups.com, mjame...@gmail.com
Agree!!  Peggy you've been incredible in your support for SL and FoSL, and we all are so deeply grateful!!

Christie Musa

Mar 16, 2023, 9:52:43 PM3/16/23
to Jeff Hall, fosl...@googlegroups.com, mjame...@gmail.com
Thank you Peggy for all your time and effort!

You all might be interested to see Sierra Leone on the TIMES World’s Greatest Places of 2023!

Cindy

Mar 16, 2023, 9:53:00 PM3/16/23
to Jeff Hall, fosl...@googlegroups.com, mjame...@gmail.com, Bob Heavner
Ditto!!! Tenki! Tenki! Peggy for you amazing leadership all these years. I will never forget that first trip back to in 2004 and all you did to make that happen. Bob and I send our love and appreciation for all you have done and do for Mama Salone.

Cindy

Peggy

Mar 16, 2023, 10:47:45 PM3/16/23
to Christie Musa, Jeff Hall, fosl...@googlegroups.com, mjame...@gmail.com

Thank you for your kind words and thank you for the link! How nice to hear/read a positive message about Salone for a change! I do hope the country acts quickly to stop the devastation of pristine beaches for the sale of sand! Also, Bimbola Carrol of VSL has been doing great work at putting on walks and excursions for people who live there to join. I believe he is also supporting inclusive tourism for people with disabilities and Agro tourism. I have done some really great stays in Europe with agro tourism and think it is a wonderful opportunity in Salone. I have long been confused, to a degree, about why SL seems to miss out on tourism.

I will happily share the link.

Thank you again,

Peggy

Thank you Peggy for all your time and effort!

You all might be interested to see Sierra Leone on the TIMES World’s Greatest Places of 2023!

Christie Pearson-Musa
Inland Fisheries 1981-83

ET

Mar 16, 2023, 11:54:34 PM3/16/23
to Peggy, Christie Musa, Jeff Hall, fosl...@googlegroups.com, mjame...@gmail.com
Peggy, thank you!

You have done so much for Sierra Leone in your position as president of FOSL and in your continued one-on-one relationships with individuals and families you met as a young volunteer some years ago.

I admire your tenacity for the welfare of your "Sierra Leone family" and the overall development of Sierra Leone!  Thank you, Peggy.

Peggy

Mar 17, 2023, 12:49:12 AM3/17/23
to ET, Christie Musa, Jeff Hall, fosl...@googlegroups.com, mjame...@gmail.com

Oh Etta! You are truly one of my role models, my main one, from the diaspora side! You helped me so much and I am eternally grateful. I couldn’t tell you ahead of time because I would have been far too emotional.

I miss you and love you,

Peggy

Peggy

Mar 17, 2023, 12:40:13 PM3/17/23
to Cindy, Jeff Hall, fosl...@googlegroups.com, mjame...@gmail.com, Bob Heavner

Thank you for the kind words. The 2004 trip was a once in a lifetime experience.

Regards,

Peggy

Mar 17, 2023, 6:06:31 PM3/17/23
to David Magnani, Michael Lee, fosl...@googlegroups.com

Wow!!! I would like to ditto my esteemed colleague and Brother Senator David Magnani’s sentiments. What is FOSL without Peggy at the helm? You will be missed but by the same time enjoy the opportunity. Will keep you in mind and you will always be part of our diplomatic activities. Thanks for your excellent service and exemplary cooperation to the FOSL community.

Mohammed Barrie

Deputy Dean of the Sierra Leone Consulate Missions, North & South America

Special Envoy for Trade and Development

Republic of Sierra Leone Consulate Mission

75 Myrtle Street

Norfolk, MA 02056

Tele: 508-397-7361

Mar 17, 2023, 9:21:59 PM3/17/23
to Michael Lee, fosl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much, Peggy, for your devotion to Sierra Leone and for your devoted leadership to FOSL. Regards, Richard and Catherine

Mar 17, 2023, 9:24:55 PM3/17/23
to Michael Lee, fosl...@googlegroups.com
Peggy, it was a pleasure meeting you in person when FoSL had its annual meeting in Boston several years ago.  Many thanks for all the work, time, and effort you've put in Friends of Sierra Leone as its president!  You, and other board members, have created a strong organization and it sounds like it will be in good hands going forward.  Enjoy your free time!

Wishing you all the best,
Susan
Susan Schwartz
RPCV '81 - '83
Moyamba District
Tucson, Arizona

Wendy Diliberti

Mar 18, 2023, 12:06:52 PM3/18/23
to Peggy, Christie Musa, Jeff Hall, fosl...@googlegroups.com, mjame...@gmail.com
Well, Peggy, this is truly the end of an era. I always joked that I wanted you to be President for Life, but you certainly deserve a rest. I can't believe how long you've been doing this and doing it so well. I'm glad you listed what you're most proud of during your tenure—such concrete accomplishments. When Mike and I first joined FoSL (in the 80's), it was a small local DC group, and now it's a truly national organization that has been a real partner with Sierra Leone. That first trip back to SL in 2004 was epic and memorable. Thanks for all you've done!

~Wendy