Act Now - Advocate for Peace Corps Today!

Michael Lee

May 7, 2024, 10:35:21 AMMay 7
to fosl...@googlegroups.com

Dear FOSL Members,

We have an advocacy opportunity for you from our friends at RPCVs for Environmental Action and the National Peace Corps Association. Below you will find the message from Kate Schachter with RPCVs for Environmental Action urging us to act now and reach out to your representatives in the US Senate in support of Peace Corps.

As people who care deeply about the climate, we engage in a lot of education and advocacy. As an affiliate group of the National Peace Corps Association, we also advocate for Peace Corps the agency. Following is a request from Jonathan Pearson, NPCA Advocacy Director, to urge our Senators to sign "Dear Colleague" letters related to the Peace Corps budget for FY 2025 ($479M). This is part and parcel of good advocacy practices. From Jonathan:

SENATE PEACE CORPS FUNDING LETTER: Currently, we have 26 Senators signed on to the Cardin-Shaheen Peace Corps funding Dear Colleague letter. Here is a link (https://www.peacecorpsconnect.org/senate-peace-corps-letter-2024/) where you can see the list of the 26 Senators who have now signed on so far. There is also a link to take action, where you can urge your Senator(s) to sign the letter, or say thank you to those who have already signed on. The deadline to sign on is this Friday, May 10th.

If you check that link and notice that your Senator has signed on, it is still important to let them know that you see them and thank them. The letter draft in the above link thanks them for their support. You might think that they don't need to hear from us, but in fact, our thanks and recognition of their action does make a difference.

Of course, if they haven't signed on, a reminder is important.

Please take less than 5 minutes to take action now!

Visit https://www.peacecorpsconnect.org/senate-peace-corps-letter-2024/ to show your support of Peace Corps. The agency is rolling out training to the new volunteers on climate change and environmental training in all countries. We have skin in this game, to see awareness and education spread to communities large and small throughout the world.

Thank you!

Kate Schachter

RPCVs of Madison

RPCV Georgia/2016-2017