Fwd: Message for U.S. Citizens: COVID-19 Vaccinations Available

Peter C. Andersen

Jun 30, 2021, 12:02:50 PM6/30/21
to FoSL_...@googlegroups.com, FoSL Leone

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Message for U.S. Citizens: COVID-19 Vaccinations Available
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 11:10:31 -0400
From: consular...@state.gov

*The Embassy of the United States of America - **Freetown, Sierra Leone*

The U.S. Embassy in partnership with the Government of Sierra Leone is
providing Astra Zeneca vaccinations at the U.S. Embassy on a first come
basis on July 1 and 2.  American citizens are invited to receive
vaccinations at this time.

There will be guides at the entrance to direct persons to the area where
vaccinations will be given.  Please bring your passport or another form
of identification.

*Day, Date, and Times*:

* Thursday, July 1 - 10:00 AM to early afternoon.
* Friday, July 2 - 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.

Information will be provided about the time and logistics for obtaining
a second dose of vaccine.

For additional assistance:

U.S. Embassy Freetown, Sierra Leone
Southridge, Hill Station
TEL: (232) 99 105 500
EMAIL: consular...@state.gov <mailto:consular...@state.gov>
WEBSITE: https://sl.usembassy.gov
<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsl.usembassy.gov%2F&data=04%7C01%7CCarterOlsonA%40state.gov%7C50d1687b51d347a476ab08d93bd6c730%7C66cf50745afe48d1a691a12b2121f44b%7C0%7C0%7C637606615909107162%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=gGQNJC%2Bvx4lgElzYTk8sH9nm4mlUvXfQIxBv7SSdbO8%3D&reserved=0>

Note:  The timestamp on this e-mail message may reflect Washington,
D.C., time, which may differ from local time.

Jay Friedman

Jun 30, 2021, 2:13:52 PM6/30/21
to fosl_...@googlegroups.com, FoSL Leone, Peter C. Andersen
I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in SL from 1962 to 64. During my last 10 months I taught in a vocational high school in Freetown. I found it interesting that the address of the embassy in the message about vaccinations is given as "Southridge, Hill Station". I'm assuming that means it is located on the higher, cooler mountain to the west of the main part of Freetown, which if I remember correctly is known as "Hill Station" and where some foreigners and "big men" lived when I was there. I even remember once going alone into the bar to have a drink at the very British Hill Station Club. (Not good for my PC image, but I kept it to myself.)

In the colonial era that is where senior and some junior colonial officials lived and there was even a narrow gauge train that ran from the center of Freetown up to the Hill Station to take the officials down to their offices in the morning and back up in the evening. When I was a PCV from 1962 to 64 the US Embassy was in the center of the city, as was the Peace Corps office. At that time the train up to Hill Station and its rails no longer existed, but the right of way, including bridges, was still there and which may still be there today.

Speaking of railways, when I was a PCV the Sierra Leone Railroad still ran to Pendembu in the east and to, I think, Makeni in the north. I travelled on it several times. It was slow as molasses, For example, 4 hours to go 57 miles from Moyamba to F'town and on one trip almost 24 hours from Pendembu to F'town. On the other hand first class seats were very luxurious. One of its locomotives was rescued when the railroad was dismantled in the '70s and is being used on a tourist railway in Wales.

Jay Friedman
Decatur GA
--
FoSL website: http://fosalone.org

Join FoSL $25 membership: https://fosalone.org/mbrs.php
---

Gary Schulze

Jun 30, 2021, 3:03:19 PM6/30/21
to 'Jay Friedman' via Friends of Sierra Leone, fosl_...@googlegroups.com, Peter C. Andersen
Jay, what is your email address? I would like to share experiences there with you.

Gary Schulze, SL 1, 62-63
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to fosl_mbr+u...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fosl_mbr/81599233.1980162.1625071778526%40mail.yahoo.com.

Salonesix

Jun 30, 2021, 3:12:00 PM6/30/21
to Gary Schulze, 'Jay Friedman' via Friends of Sierra Leone, fosl_...@googlegroups.com, Peter C. Andersen
Jay I arrived in 64 just after you left. I taught at Harford in Moyamba and a few times took the train from Freetown to Moyamba, not first class and it took forever. I remember many of our Harford girls arriving by train.  Judy Lamm Figi

Sent from the all-new AOL app for iOS

Krister Engdahl

Jun 30, 2021, 8:06:51 PM6/30/21
to Jay Friedman, Gary Schulze, fosl_...@googlegroups.com, FoSL Leone, Peter C. Andersen
Always fun to hear about the railroad in Salone. 4 hours to Moyamba is not bad, you would be lucky to get there that quickly on transport now since Moyamba is not on the main road. The US embassy has been up by Hill Station at least 10 years, and it is very developed up there now. The PC office is on the Old Railway Line Rd above Congo Cross. The old station for the hill line is the National Museum as Gary could tell us. There is actually a great train museum in Freetown in Cline town by the port. Some English soldier during the 90's found a lot of old stock and helped set up the museum https://www.sierraleonerailwaymuseum.org/. I highly recommend it if you are in Freetown, or check out the website. Krister 85-89

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fosl_mbr/81599233.1980162.1625071778526%40mail.yahoo.com.

Phil Fretz

Jun 30, 2021, 8:06:54 PM6/30/21
to Salonesix, Gary Schulze, 'Jay Friedman' via Friends of Sierra Leone, fosl_...@googlegroups.com, Peter C. Andersen
I served in Kenema from 67 to 69 and rode the train more than a few times between Kenema and Freetown.  I loved the way it would stop almost anywhere to let people off and on, or to provide a pee break.  The range of live animals in the last car or two always fascinated me, too.  What good memories.

I saved a lot of photos from that time and posted them in a self-published edition on Amazon years later.