Mac installation

chad.young

Sep 27, 2017, 10:33:33 AM9/27/17
to FormScanner
Hi all,

One of our faculty is having problems installing on his Mac.  Can someone advise?

Here is his message:

---

Hi,

I’m having trouble with the Formscanner Mac App itself.

I did the following for my Macintosh installations. All successfully.

1.     Installed Ghostscript v2.91
2.     Installed Java 7.8 development kit version
3.     Installed XnConvert v1.75
4.     Downloaded ProcessBubbles-V2.81
5.     Downloaded formscanner-1.1.4.dmg
      a.     Dragged the App to the Applications Folder.
6.     When I launch the App I get this message:

      (The Application “Formscanner” can’t be opened.)
7.    I can get it to run by doing the following:

a.     Open Terminal
      b.     Type in the following command

Java -jar /Applications/FormScanner.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/formscanner-main-1.1.4.jar

c.      I’m trying to keep our faculty away from the Terminal app if possible.
              i.     Presently this leaves the terminal app open
             ii.     If you close the terminal window Formscanner quits.
8.     I assume it is not supposed to work this way.  The ideal launch of the app  would be to double click on the app and it start running without the terminal visible.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

chad.young

Sep 28, 2017, 8:58:11 AM9/28/17
to FormScanner
Hi all Mac users,

When you use FormScanner, do you have to run it from the command line.  I've never used it on a Mac, but one of our faculty is attempting to set it up.  He has it installed but would rather not operate from the cmd line.

Thanks,
Chad

Alberto Borsetta

Sep 28, 2017, 9:39:06 AM9/28/17
to FormScanner
I'm sorry I made a mistake while creating the .dmg package for MacOs. I'm going to create and upload a new package as soon as possible.
For the moment open a command line, go to the folder

/Applications/FormScanner-1.1.4/FormScanner.app/Contents/MacOS/bin

and type the command

chmod +x formscanner

so you can run formscanner from GUI (instead of command line).

Alberto

Aaron Batty

Oct 1, 2017, 4:20:16 AM10/1/17
to FormScanner
Just wanted to post and say that I just discovered this software the other day and have been using it without issue on three Macs with macOS 10.12.6, running Java 9  and FormScanner 1.1.3. It was not necessary to install anything else.

An important point to make, though, is that the application error message that comes up if you try to run it without a JDK installed sends you to the page for downloading the JRE instead.

Thanks for making this great software! I've been wondering why such a thing didn't exist for many years.

nick.l...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2017, 1:46:35 PM10/23/17
to FormScanner
No joy, Alberto. Flagging as executable only makes it run for a few seconds, then dies (at least on High Sierra, dunno on older macOS versions). Not even the GUI shows up. If enter the bundle and run formscanner directly, Terminal opens displaying quite a number of errors and the
 GUI is deployed, but there is no valid configuration file so everything is logged to console. It would be great if you could re-package the thing properly... thanks in advance!

Mohamed

Oct 28, 2017, 1:38:21 PM10/28/17
to FormScanner
It is not working on Mac HighSierra OS. Anyone have an idea how to make it works on Mac. JDK is installed with Java.

Thank for the great efforts.

Hervé CACI

Nov 10, 2017, 6:55:10 PM11/10/17
to FormScanner
Hi everybody,

It's impossible to launch FormScanner 1.1.4 on my MacOS El Capitan 10.11.6 and Java 8 (151). After the .dmg is installed and I double-click on the program icon (in the Application folder), I get a message saying "Impossible to open to application "FormScanner". Very disappointed...

Any thought?

Hervé CACI

Nov 11, 2017, 1:32:58 PM11/11/17
to FormScanner
The solution was posted some months ago: download version 1.1.2 instead, which works MacOS.

Hervé CACI

Nov 12, 2017, 7:14:31 AM11/12/17
to FormScanner
Well, version 1.1.3 launches too.