Problem with dynamically evaluating a value using openCPU

Maike Günther

Dec 3, 2020, 9:01:45 AM12/3/20
to formr
Hello dear All,

my participants get the notice that there is a problem with dynamically evaluating a value using OpenCPU, when coming to the first Pause. Did someone else had this before and how can this problem be solved?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards
Maike

felix.sc...@psy.lmu.de

Dec 4, 2020, 7:48:10 AM12/4/20
to formr
Hi all,

we just updated from Debian 9 -> 10 (for our own formr instance) and now have the same problem:

There was a problem dynamically evaluating a value using openCPU.
There was a problem evaluating showifs using openCPU.

Any hints where to start debugging are appreciated!

Best,
Felix

Ruben Arslan

Dec 4, 2020, 8:32:03 AM12/4/20
to felix.sc...@psy.lmu.de, formr
Hi Felix and Maike,

the error message is the uninformative one we show to participants. Can you
please try running with a test account? It should help you find out what to fix.
In most cases, it's an error in the code. In your case, Felix, you might have
to reinstall packages after updating OpenCPU.

Best,

Ruben

Felix Schönbrodt

Dec 5, 2020, 4:48:11 AM12/5/20
to Ruben Arslan, formr
Thanks Ruben,

that hint was spot on.

Here are my steps to get it running again; maybe they are helpful for others:

Situation:

We have our own formr instance running. I upgraded from Debian 9 to Debian 10.

Problem:

When participants do a a survey, we get a red warning:

There was a problem dynamically evaluating a value using openCPU.
There was a problem evaluating showifs using openCPU.

However, opencpu was running without apparent problems.

Solution:

  1. Run the survey as a test user. You get much very informative error messages then. I had to reinstall one Debian package, and update many R packages (due to the upgrade from R 3.5 -> R 4.0).
  2. Steps I had to do to get it running again:
    1. (Re)-Install cURL: apt-get install php7.3-curl
    2. Activate curl in php.ini
    3. I got multiple warnings "Error: package ‘###’ was installed before R 4.0.0: please re-install it". But I reinstalled all packages! The problem was that I had two library locations: /usr/lib/R/library and /usr/local/lib/R/site-library. For some unknown reason, the regular update.packages did not update all locations in .libPaths(). Solution: delete doubled packages from /usr/lib/R/library

Best,
Felix

Ruben Arslan

Dec 6, 2020, 12:58:10 PM12/6/20
to Felix Schönbrodt, formr
These code snippets might also come in handy in the future:

felix.sc...@psy.lmu.de

Dec 7, 2020, 2:24:39 AM12/7/20
to formr
Thanks Ruben! These scripts are very helpful.

leakhil...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2020, 10:11:19 AM12/22/20
to formr
Hi everyone,
I just received an email from a participant that she gets the same error message when trying to fill in a questionnaire. I just checked and I also get an error message:

It seems like a problem with the server - we don't have our own sever, so could this be a problem with the formr server? However, I have another study running at the moment where I don't get that error message, so maybe it is rather a problem of my study?
I would be happy about any (quick) hints!
Thanks,
Lea

leakhil...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2020, 10:11:59 AM12/22/20
to formr

Error message: "  2020-12-22 16:04:14: There was a problem dynamically evaluating a value using openCPU.
cURL error: SSL certificate problem: certificate has expired in 0.022219"

leakhil...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2020, 10:16:52 AM12/22/20
to formr
I just tried older studies and I get similar errors with a different number at the end:  2020-12-22 16:12:31: There was a problem dynamically evaluating a value using openCPU.
cURL error: SSL certificate problem: certificate has expired in 0.034216. The only thing these studies have in common (compared to those where I don't get the error message) is that I redirect the participants to an external experiment (open-lab or Jatos). The studies worked fine yesterday.

silvia.bradatsch

Dec 22, 2020, 10:17:10 AM12/22/20
to formr
Dear all,

same for me and my study running on the formr instance at University of Goettingen. I used a test account to get more information, seems to be a problem concerning the server?

Would be happy about quick help as well!
Many thanks in advance,
Silvia

silvia.bradatsch

Dec 22, 2020, 10:19:24 AM12/22/20
to formr
Apparently the screenshot from my previous message is not visible, so please see the attached file.
openCPU error.JPG

bucha...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2020, 12:55:50 PM12/22/20
to formr
You'll probably have to contact the people running the server for that one - check out https://opencpu.github.io/server-manual/opencpu-server.pdf page 7.

erin

Jens Lange

Dec 22, 2020, 1:00:59 PM12/22/20
to fo...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I also get this error message in my current study:

  2020-12-22 18:58:10: There was a problem dynamically evaluating a value using openCPU.

I happens when the run reaches a skip forward. In the run, the participant reached a skip forward, which would bring him to the end of the study if a condition is met. Yet, this condition is not met, so the run should proceed to the next step. However, according to the log, the participant did not proceed to the next step. So apparently, the error occurs during the skip forward.

Best, Jens

Ruben Arslan

Dec 22, 2020, 4:23:55 PM12/22/20
to Jens Lange, formr
Dear all,

Cyril has just fixed the issue. Sorry for the interruption everyone, and
happy holidays!

Best,

Ruben

Lea Hildebrandt

Dec 22, 2020, 4:25:37 PM12/22/20
to fo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ruben and Cyril, thanks so, so much for your quick reaction! Lea

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "formr" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/formr/CALv3xzv6OtVvGrL82sDCh43W577Ni3NnyyuXE3eD8Ct%3DrXm35g%40mail.gmail.com.

Silvia Bradatsch

Dec 22, 2020, 4:37:47 PM12/22/20
to Ruben Arslan, ct...@uni-goettingen.de, formr
Thanks a lot for your help (as usual) and happy holidays for you as well!
Silvia

Julia Bottesini

Dec 22, 2020, 4:38:39 PM12/22/20
to formr
This was also the issue I had. Thank you so much for solving it so quickly!
--Julia