Workaround for adding locations to new installation of ForecastFox

Allison adz

Jan 9, 2024, 2:57:06 PMJan 9
to forecastfox-users
Hi all,

I too was unable to add my location after a fresh installation.  It is understandable that the developer Oleksandr is indisposed, given recent events, so I wanted to share a workaround that will allow us to continue using this helpful extension.

1) After installing ForecastFox (fix version), open the page for the extension options. The default location is New York, NY, USA.

2) Make any alterations you like *except* for trying to set a location

3) Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click the button for "Save Settings".

4) Save the file somewhere you can find it and open it in a text editor

5) Visit accuweather.com which is the source being used for the weather information

6) Look up your location and click in to view the weather for that location. For example, https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/los-angeles/90012/weather-forecast/347625?city=los%20angeles&postalcode=undefined

7) Identify the 6-digit location code from the URL.  In this example it is 347625. In the default for New York, NY, it is 349727. You can ignore anything after the question mark in the URL, then it should be the last 6 characters of the address (not counting the question mark).

8) In the text editor, do find and replace to Find 349727 and Replace with your six digit location code, in my example: 347625

9) Search the file for the phrase location_list. Scan that line for where it says "name":"New York, NY, USA", and replace New York, NY, USA with what you'd like your location to be called. Be sure that it is valid JSON, i.e. enclosed in double quotation marks.

10) Optionally, you can look up the longitude and latitude for your location and perform the same modification to "lat" and "lng".

11) Save the file and use the 'Load Settings' button to re-import.

Some caveats: right now, it doesn't seem to matter to Accuweather if the local portion of your URLs contradict the given location code (i.e. if you still have /new-york-ny/ with the location code for Los Angeles). This may change in the future, but I think it would be a simple matter of additional find and replaces.  There may be other considerations with locations outside the US or with localizations to languages other than English.  If anyone has trouble with those scenarios, I can try to help perform additional testing.

Thank you everyone for carrying the torch for Oleksandr, and here's hoping we see him around again.

-Allison

Jean Louis

Jan 10, 2024, 11:58:55 AMJan 10
to forecastfox-users
Good morning Allison, All,

Thanks for the workaround: this works fine!

To simplify futher this long configuration file, I have deleted all lines related to current location, starting quickly with the location list.
I have added several of them, separated by a comma and this works fine also.  My configuration file looks like this, with 3 locations.

current_locale=en
first_run=true
location_list=[{"name":"Paris,FRA","code":"cityId:623","current":true,"rotate":true,"latlng":{"lat":40.7127837,"lng":-74.00594130000002}}, {"name":"Los Angeles,USA","code":"cityId:90012","current":true,"rotate":true,"latlng":{"lat":40.7127837,"lng":-74.00594130000002}},{"name":"KIEV, UA","code":"cityId:324505","current":true,"rotate":true,"latlng":{"lat":40.7127837,"lng":-74.00594130000002}}]
theme_icon_pack=1
update_timer_value=30

Have a nice day.

With Best Regards                          Jean-Louis

ARMOUR PC

Jan 19, 2024, 9:13:47 AMJan 19
to forecastfox-users
hi
plase update  ForecastFox  extension fix bug add location