Re: [FORCE11] Re: pre print for funded proposals

Alexander Garcia Castro

Jun 19, 2017, 7:14:08 AM6/19/17
to Jeroen Bosman, Rusty Speidel, FORCE11 Forum, for...@googlegroups.com
Dear all.

We have now a WG in F11 addressing issues related to publishing funded proposals, ideas and project reports.

You are all welcome to join at https://www.force11.org/group/reports-ideas-and-projects-ripar

Our main goal is to set up a pre print server, in collaboration with the Center for Open Science/OSF. In principle, this pre print should host funded proposals, project reports and ideas. We want to:

- Define use cases presenting scenarios related to the publication documents describing projects, progress reports and ideas.

- The resulting use cases, sets of metadata and, recommendations will be put of for endorsement by the the general community.

- Produce a set of guidelines for publishing documents describing projects, progress reports and ideas in preprint servers.

- Present a request for a preprint server to the OSF/COS in order to make it possible for researchers to publish and query these kind of documents.

- Implement the resulting guidelines in the preprint server for Reports, Ideas, and Research Projects.

I hope you join the WG.

Best.

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 9:59 PM, Jeroen Bosman <jeroe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Alexander,

I think it is important to have these available to learn from and build on. I am not really convinced that should be a dedicated server. Actually I do not mind that much where it is physically as long as it is stable, well indexed, accompanied with IDs etc., so that they can be found by BASE, Science Open and other search engines and with APIs making sure that they could be shown on any other (field specific) platform.

Jeroen

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 9:02:47 PM UTC+2, Alexander Garcia Castro wrote:
Hi all, I was wondering what prevents funded project proposals to be openly available? For instance, ERC funded proposals are listed but there is not indication whatsoever about the actual proposal. I can understand that nobody wants to make proposals available BEFORE they are funded. But, once they are funded they are no longer new  because the innovation, newness, has been funded and it is assumed that the researcher has delivered. If a researcher chooses to recycle the proposal and apply for a different funding scheme the researcher should make it clear to the reviewers that whatever is being proposed has been funded in part or in whole under another funding scheme/agency/call.

I am thinking about running a pre print server of funded (and unfunded depending on the submitter) research projects. there is demand for this kind of documents; I trust that the willingness to be transparent will make it easier for researchers with funded research projects to submit their funded proposals. Some, very few, research proposals are available in figshare and over some blogs. this pre print server would be specific for this documents. I would like to hear opinions about making openly available funded research projects. Maybe this is total nonsense?

Best.

Alexander Garcia Castro

Jun 19, 2017, 8:42:25 AM6/19/17
to Daniel S. Katz, Jeroen Bosman, Rusty Speidel, FORCE11 Forum, for...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel. The Open Science Framework makes it possible for communities to run pre prints that they consider in the best benefit of the community. See,  https://cos.io/our-products/osf-preprints/. In principle this WG should, after addressing the issues described at https://www.force11.org/group/reports-ideas-and-projects-ripar, apply for a pre print server and run it in collaboration with the COS/OSF initiative.

RIO does offer the possibility to publish projects, and nothing prevents you to pay the APC as indicated at https://riojournal.com/about#Article-Processing-Charges and have your project published at the RIO Journal while at the same time you could deposit your file in our pre print server (once it is online). This is not an unusual practice, many journals actually encourage authors to deposit in pre print servers.

So, to summarise. In general pre prints do not compite existing journals; they offer a community resource, a different dissemination channel, amongst others.  More specifically, this WG wants to work with the OSF within the framework that they currently have (see https://cos.io/our-products/osf-preprints/).

I hope this clarifies your questions.

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Daniel S. Katz <daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Alexander,

Why do we need another service like this, given OSF and RIO and others?

I think it's great to have a FORCE11 group talking about this area and trying to influence various groups/projects in what they do, but I'm less sure about a FORCE11 group that's goal is to build infrastructure that seems to compete with existing infrastructure.

Maybe you can explain a bit more why this is needed? And why FORCE11 should do it?

Thanks,
Dan