pre print for funded proposals

Alexander Garcia Castro

Apr 26, 2017, 3:02:47 PM4/26/17
to for...@googlegroups.com, F11DIS...@force11.org
Hi all, I was wondering what prevents funded project proposals to be openly available? For instance, ERC funded proposals are listed but there is not indication whatsoever about the actual proposal. I can understand that nobody wants to make proposals available BEFORE they are funded. But, once they are funded they are no longer new  because the innovation, newness, has been funded and it is assumed that the researcher has delivered. If a researcher chooses to recycle the proposal and apply for a different funding scheme the researcher should make it clear to the reviewers that whatever is being proposed has been funded in part or in whole under another funding scheme/agency/call.

I am thinking about running a pre print server of funded (and unfunded depending on the submitter) research projects. there is demand for this kind of documents; I trust that the willingness to be transparent will make it easier for researchers with funded research projects to submit their funded proposals. Some, very few, research proposals are available in figshare and over some blogs. this pre print server would be specific for this documents. I would like to hear opinions about making openly available funded research projects. Maybe this is total nonsense?

Best.

Alexander Garcia Castro

Apr 26, 2017, 4:23:08 PM4/26/17
to for...@googlegroups.com, F11DIS...@force11.org
Thanks for the emails pointing me to http://riojournal.com/. Although I quite like the motivation behind this journal I dont see a reason why there should not be a pre print server for this kind of documents; as funded projects they should be more than widely open (beyond a publisher). As a funded researcher I would not like to pay an APC for the research project; as a funder and policy maker, I would rather see this in a pre print server with no APCs rather than under a publishers home. As a tax payer I would like to see, at the very least, the project proposal free, liberated, of charges.

also, there are a lot of journals. That does not prevent pre prints to do their job.