Experimental Background Processing for SOQL Query & Apex Execute

Ryan Brainard

Aug 12, 2012, 10:15:38 PM8/12/12
to forcewo...@googlegroups.com
Historically, Workbench has had issues with long-running API requests, which can cause pages to time out or even sessions to lock up. The biggest offereders have usually been SOQL queries and Apex scripts, which can sometimes take minutes to complete. To solve this problem, I have been working a new framework to support background processing for long running requests. This means that instead of being blocked on the API request, the results page is returned immediately with a "Loading..." indicator while the API request is queued up in the background for actual processing. When the background job completes, the results are shown on the page as normal. The background processing is incredibly fast, so most users should not notice any difference other than seeing the "Loading..." indicator for a brief moment. For longer running requests, the user experience should be greatly enhanced because the page will not time out and the session will not lock up.

This new processing method has been rolled out to the SOQL Query and Apex Execute pages on workbench.developerforce.com. I will be closely monitoring the application to make sure everything is going smoothly, but I wanted to make everyone aware of these changes in case anyone experiences unexpected behavior. If you notice anything odd with these pages, please report it here or file an issue.

Thanks,
Ryan