Migration to GitHub

Ryan Brainard

Jan 27, 2013, 2:04:30 PM1/27/13
to forcewo...@googlegroups.com
The code repository for Workbench has been migrated from Google Code to GitHub at https://github.com/ryanbrainard/forceworkbench. Google Code has been great, but GitHub creates an much better environment for collaboration and is easier to maintain because the rest of my projects already live there. This change migrated not only the source code, but also the issues and the downloads for the project.

In coordination with this change, the new version detection in Workbench is now based on GitHub's Tags API, as downloads are now just auto-generated ZIP files at a given tag. Previously, releases had to be explicitly created, but now the release process is as simple as tagging a commit and all users will be notified the next time they log into Workbench. This should allow for smaller, more iterative releases going forward. In addition, users comfortable with git repositories can update their Workbench instance directly from the repo instead of downloading a file.

To work out any kinks in this new process, Workbench 26.0.2 Beta 1 has been released with this new version detection capability. Please download the new version at
https://github.com/ryanbrainard/forceworkbench/tags. The ZIP file will now contain a few other files in the root, but you can still just copy the workbench directory to your web server as before.

Please let me know if you run into any problem with the new repo or this new process.

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan Brainard

Feb 13, 2013, 11:59:00 PM2/13/13