We are dancing this Saturday Evening! Come join us!

Linda James

Mar 20, 2018, 4:53:46 PM3/20/18
to foo...@googlegroups.com
For us, A NEW BAND and A FAMILIAR CALLER!

Please join us for a wonderful evening dancing to
THE YELLOW DANDIES
with calling by
CHRISSY DAVIS-CAMP!

When?  Saturday, March 24th
Where?  Birmingham YWCA, 309 23rd Street N, Birmingham, AL
What time?  Beginners should arrive by 7pm for a little lesson, dancing is from 7:30-10:30pm.
UNLESS YOU WANT TO COME TO OUR PICNIC at 6pm in the gym.  Bring you own dinner, FOOTMAD will supply beverages and dessert.  This is a wonderful way to get to know other dancers!
What to wear?  Shoes that will stay on your feet (unless you dance barefoot), and lightweight clothing (because you will sweat).  Also, be sure to come ready to smile.
What does it cost?  Adults are $10, College Students $8, those 13-18 years old $4,  Free to anyone 12 or younger.  The first time you come to one of our dances, we give you a GET IN FREE card for another dance.  We also have punch cards for frequent dancers.  Their 5th dance is free.
What would we like you to do?  Of course DANCE, but also VOLUNTEER to help at the dance.  We need 4 wonderful people to sign up and of course show up for these slots.  If you do, you get FREE ADMISSION to the dance!  It's not hard.  If you haven't done it before, or if you have, we would LOVE to have you sign up!  Here's the link:
http://signup.com/go/W9u1fP  We can't have a dance without our volunteers.
What to bring?  your reusable water bottle and your friends and family!  Contra is fun for EVERYBODY!
Need more info about Contra dancing?  Visit our website, where you can sign up for emails, learn about our dance weekends and more!  www.FOOTMADbirmingham.org

So here is a Wonderful writeup on the band:

Best described as a commanding absurdist string band, the Yellow Dandies apply a manic energy to their shows that keeps audiences hooked from start to finish. Since performing their first show at Birmingham's most iconic dive, The Nick, they've brought their furious fun to crowds at Horse Pens 40, Acoustic Cafe, Zydeco, Birmingham Art Walk, Good People Brewing, The Birmingham Museum of Art, and Sanford University. Whether they’re dazzling crowds with tongue and finger twisting original compositions, or dusting off Bluegrass standards and old-time fiddle tunes, the Birmingham-based band takes listeners on eclectic romps that never quite spin out of control.

Don't let the title of their debut album The Fun of Reckless and Indiscriminate Merry Making fool you - the Yellow Dandies are comprised of skilled and serious musicians. Ben Hood (guitar) has both a songwriting degree from MTSU and certified rhythmic superpowers; he was recently awarded a grant from the Tennessee Arts Commission to co-author a book and perform material analyzing traditional rhythm guitar techniques. Bailey Hill (mandolin) works at Camp McDowell where he directs music for various camp sessions, teaches song and music writing workshops, and gives mandolin lessons to anything that has fingers. In addition to being suspiciously friendly, Ryan Brown (upright bass) has spent years performing with jazz bands and symphonies, as well as rock bands and his own projects. Prior to joining the band, fiddler Aerin deRussy (fiddle) spent the last several years playing with various symphonies, including stints on both viola and violin with the Gadsden Symphony and the Muscle Shoals Symphony. After being petitioned by the band, she graciously decided to return to her roots as the 2007 Georgia Fiddle Queen. With such a talented lineup, the Yellow Dandies have infused every song with outstanding musicianship as well as their distinctive humor and authentic style. They are guaranteed to leave any crowd pumped full of holy Dandies spirt, hootin’, hollerin’, dancin’, and demandin’ more.

On the evening of March 24th, The Yellow Dandies will be joined by guest bassist, Doug Davis. Doug Davis is an incredibly talented bass player, and an experienced Contra Dance musician. The Yellow Dandies are honored to have him joining them for the occasion!

As mentioned above, our wonderful caller is Chrissy Davis-Camp.
CHRISSY DAVIS-CAMP is a favorite of FOOTMAD.  You will thoroughly enjoy her calling.  She will be driving down from her home in Belt Buckle, Tennessee!

Looking ahead:

*THIS Friday, March 23rd, Jim and Joyce Cauthen will be speaking about and playing old-time music (what you dance to at our dances) at the Homewood Public Library's large auditorium from 1-2:30 in the afternoon.

*April 4 for those involved, we have a FOOTMAD Board Meeting

*
April 14th
we will be dancing to Mick Kinney's Band with calling by Janet Shepherd.

*April 29th FOOTMAD will be dancing at Magic City Art Connection at Lynn Park, downtown Birmingham.  You can come dance with us at the Backyard Productions Stage across from the Birmingham Museum of Art.  The time for this event has been changed to 2pm.  (please note)  AND, if you would like to get into the Art Show for FREE, and are reading this soon after you receive it, you may be able to get a FREE PASS, by contacting Joyce Cauthen she has 6 slots available for free admission.  Email her if interested.  joycec...@gmail.com putting MCAC in the heading of your email.  If you aren't one of the lucky 6, admission is $5 for the day.
Magic City Art Connection is a terrific show, and runs from April 27th - 29th.
More info about the artists and activities can be found at this link:  http://www.magiccityart.com/

*SAVE THE DATE August 17-19 when we take over Camp Riverview in Mentone, AL for our MENTONE MONSTER MASH!

Phew, you got to the bottom of this email!  Congrats and thanks for reading it all.

See you on the dance floor,
Linda James
PRP for Birmingham FOOTMAD
www.FOOTMADbirmingham.org